Offsetting a poor gpa?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Offsetting a poor gpa?
By Kanzit (Kanzit) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 08:05 pm: Edit

let's say I have an unweighed gpa of 3.45 weighed--3.8 to 3.9 but am a member of the top 10% of my high school, and officer positions of a few clubs,plus a SAT Score of around 1400, and a good essay? Would that be enough to offset my poor gpa?

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 08:11 pm: Edit

Nope, my GPA was 3.5 UW with 10 AP classes, lots of leadership, good essays, and a 34 ACT and the best I could do was UIUC in state. A low GPA will sink you.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 08:30 pm: Edit

Not necessarily - they really do factor class rank, grade inflation (or lack thereof) in. I know that some admissions committees will line up all the students from the same high school who apply, and compare their teacher's recommendations and look into their grades. (This is NOT to say that they then only take a certain percentage, but they know which schools have grade inflation and which do not). You're in the top 10% of your high school class, have a 1400 SAT - which means that the top 25 to 40 schools are reaches, and pretty much anything underneath that is a match or safety.

By Chen (Chen) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 10:02 pm: Edit

Hm, was it in this thread that said you need a 3.8 GPA for the top 25, 3.6 for next 25, etc.? Haha, it gave me some hope.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 09:06 am: Edit

? I hadn't heard that one before. I was more estimating roughly where Kanzit's application would fall.

By Brianp (Brianp) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 11:55 am: Edit

Clickspring- where else did you get rejected from? It seems like a 34 and 10 APs should get you into a better school unless you only applied for Ivys. Please correct me if UIUC does not stand for Illinois, Champaign.

By Neo (Neo) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 01:04 pm: Edit

If you're looking for an engineering school, UIUC is one of the top 3 (Ivy or non-Ivy) in the nation. It's not that bad...

By Brianp (Brianp) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

True, but I would have thought that he/she could have got into a Notre Dame, Northwestern, UVA, or Michigan, with scores around a 34. A 34 would be like a 1500, right?

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 07:03 pm: Edit

Brianp,

I also applied to Wash U, Northwestern, U of Michigan, Brown, and U Chicago. UIUC is a good school and I'm glad I'm there. I'm not in engineering, but that's because I don't want to be an engineer, not because I didn't get in.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page