Cheap GPA . . .

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Cheap GPA . . .
By Marc_Posth (Marc_Posth) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 01:26 pm: Edit

In the highschool i'm attending, they offer an AP Economics class and it apparently is suppose to be the easiest AP class offered at our school. As for all APs in school, they are all weighted (A+ - 5.3) etc... since AP. Econ is such an easy class, everybody is getting an A+ thus being a great GPA booster. I'm in AP US and it's the hardest class offered and i'm struggling to keep my A. Thus...
would colleges see the fact that everybody is acing AP ECon and its a cheap of raising the GPA and give a stronger consideration to the people in AP US? (Their are only 8 ppl in AP US.)

I would really appreciate some opinions or people that are in similar situations.

Posth

By Marc_Posth (Marc_Posth) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 02:46 pm: Edit

anyone????

By Bignick123 (Bignick123) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 04:11 pm: Edit

no, an ap in the same school is an ap, they would probably think the reverse, they would think that history is easier than economics

By Marc_Posth (Marc_Posth) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 04:25 pm: Edit

But why would they think that history is easier than economics? Can't economics be taken as an independent study as well?
If colleges think history is easier than economics, then it seems that i'll have to work a lot harder. :)

Thx for your opinion Bignick123

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 04:44 pm: Edit

hmmm...it would all come down to the AP scores. if your class does better with poorer grades, they will sense grade inflation in AP economics.

By Wab (Wab) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Do colleges really analyze individual classes that much? Maybe if they're having trouble deciding, they may compare how well people did on Economics compared to History or something like that... but... unlikely.

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 04:13 am: Edit

LOL that's hilarious.
econ harder than hist?

lolofreakingl....!!

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 09:01 am: Edit

I went to a seminar offered to alumni interviewers by Tufts on admissions. They did say that they check the number of courses you are taking every year, see what you kept up with, and make notations. Although Econ is an AP, many schools would not count it among the list of math, science, language, English, and history courses - which would actually disadvantage an applicant, especially if she dropped a core course to take AP Econ. There really isn't any need to worry.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page