What do YOU think about ME...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: What do YOU think about ME...
By Texanssoccer07 (Texanssoccer07) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Hey, I will be applying to Harvard, UPENN, MIT, Mich, UT, Rice and a couple safety schools. Honestly, what are my chances please... Thanks.

SAT 1
M(780)
V(710)

SAT II
Math IIc 750
Writing 690
Spanish 660
Planning to get 800 on Math and improve Writing

AP
Eng Language- 3 (going to retake)
Spanish Language- 4
Will take
Cal BC
Eco
Eng Lit
Spanish Lit

All A's for semesters, not one B
Taking 7 Honors this year, plus avg of 4-5 Fr, So, Jr Years
GPA 4.0/4.0 5.5/6.0
Rank 35/656 (Very Competitive School)
(5.2% !!!) should be top 5% at end of semester

EC-
14 Years of Soccer (Play for State Team, Club Team, Varsity Team) Many tournaments won/ Awards received.
Mentored by Doctor
Treasurer SNHS
Officer for Habitat for Humanity
Student Council Rep
Member of NHS, EHS, and other clubs.
Lots of Volunteer Hours

Recs/Essays
Should be descent.

Any Advice is appreciated.
Thanks Again.

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Your SAT I score is fine, but could be improved. Same goes for the SAT II scores. The AP scores are a little weak. BTW, I don't think you can retake an AP exam...and even if you did, you'd have to wait till May and it wouldn't make a difference in admissions. Also...it doesn't seem you're taking an AP courses...does your school offer any? If they do, and you're not taking any, then it will hurt you. Lastly, your ECs seem pretty weak except for the soccer. Being an athlete will give you an edge, but I don't know if it will be enough for a school like Harvard. Also, make sure that your recs and essays are better than just "decent." For schools like Harvard and Penn, they have to be pretty damn good.

By Texanssoccer07 (Texanssoccer07) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

Thanks for your opinions. Out of the 7 Honors classes I am taking this year, 6 of them are AP. And last year I took 3. Other than soccer, the other ones, in my opinion, are good because it shows leadership and real word experience which is what colleges like, right? Also, I am half hispanic, will that help??

By Texanssoccer07 (Texanssoccer07) on Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 07:01 pm: Edit

bump

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Friday, October 03, 2003 - 12:09 am: Edit

You probably won't get into any of those reach schools. They reject thousands of kids who are even more qualified than you every year. Don't get year heart set on them. Where else are you looking?

By Asndfkas (Asndfkas) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 06:29 pm: Edit

Recs/Essays
Should be descent

haha was that a joke? descent?

By Texanssoccer07 (Texanssoccer07) on Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 07:23 pm: Edit

no?

By Asndfkas (Asndfkas) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

ok this will be useful to know:
decent = reasonable
descent = a fall

no hard feelings.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 12:19 pm: Edit

I do not agree with Click on this one. You have good possibilities at several schools you listed without considering soccer and ethnicity. If you add the hispanic component and a very selective level of soccer, you might have VERY good opportunities. By the way, do not settle for a DECENT essay, make it the cornerstone of your application. A great essay will pull your "average" verbal score up. Please do not write about soccer. Can you write about your experience with Habitat?

By the way, where do you play soccer? I saw Texans, is that Dallas or Houston?

By Bee (Bee) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 05:50 pm: Edit

I don't understand the "mentored by doctor" part...did you volunteer at a clinic or a hospital because of this?!

If not, I don't see why an adcom would care.

By Texanssoccer07 (Texanssoccer07) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 06:11 pm: Edit

I was selected (1 of 15) to be part of a Scientific Research and Design Class. Every week for four hours we go to a doctor and watch him as he teaches us important things.

Xiggi, thanks for the info.
Are you good in english and writing?
I play for the Houston Texans.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 07:16 pm: Edit

Texanssoccer07~

Have you discussed colleges with your club soccer coaches? You have the grades that LOTS of aspiring soccer players lack. If you play at a high level, your grades can get you in about anywhere. I have friends who play soccer for school like Notre Dame and Harvard and had lower grades than you and SAT below 1400. They were very good students and very good players, but what clinched was the combination of both and the persistence and contacts of the club soccer coach. Soccer is one of those sports where the high school program does not matter much at all, especially in Texas.

It is definitely an avenue to explore but it does require work.

By Texanssoccer07 (Texanssoccer07) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Yes I have done that, I have offers from schools ranging from Dartmouth to Furman.

By Texanssoccer07 (Texanssoccer07) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 07:40 pm: Edit

Yes I have done that, I have offers from schools ranging from Dartmouth to Furman.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, October 06, 2003 - 08:05 pm: Edit

Great - those are great programs. You seem on your way to a good school.

By Texanssoccer07 (Texanssoccer07) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 08:07 pm: Edit

bump

By Zephyrmaster (Zephyrmaster) on Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 08:12 pm: Edit

Go soccer player.

Watch out for the descent.

By Texanssoccer07 (Texanssoccer07) on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 05:10 pm: Edit

There are no descents on the soccer field...
any more suggestions

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page