Big EC... important?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: October 2003 Archive: Big EC... important?
By Sauronone (Sauronone) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 03:34 pm: Edit

I swim year-round. It takes up about three hours a day (5 - 8 PM) off high school swim season and about five hours (more with meets) during high school swim season. This takes up a lot of time, and has allowed me to break a 1987 record in the 200 free last year and win second at Counties in the 100 free. Do colleges realize how much time is invested in this? That is to say, does it weigh a lot for ECs? I don't have much time for other EC's, especially since I have a job and a rigorous high school schedule. However, I am a member of the FBLA, have designed and implemented my community's Red Cross Club website, have been taking piano lessons for the past seven years and have won several awards, participated in Boys' State last summer, and am a member of the Drama Club.

Academically, I'm pretty set... 5th in my class (probably higher by mid-year) and 1490 SATs (taking them again Oct 11). 9 APs total, 4 of which I took last year (5,4,4,3).

Thanks,
Anthony

By Delirious (Delirious) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 03:43 pm: Edit

What's your 200 free time? Do you have Olympic or D1 potential?

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 05:08 pm: Edit

Lots of kids spend a lot of time in a single EC. Just write down the hours you put in on the app and adcoms will take notice.

By Rowan (Rowan) on Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 09:50 pm: Edit

Explain it to them. Most have a place to explain an important activity/hobby of yours, or else they allow "additional information" you may feel is necessary.

In any case, they'll *definitely* want to know why your only EC is swimming when you *could* be doing something else. They really just want to see that you're doing something productive with your time outside of school other than homework or hanging out with friends.

By Sauronone (Sauronone) on Wednesday, October 01, 2003 - 07:33 am: Edit

I can swim for UPenn. Probably not recruit-worthy, but my times are (or at least have the potential to be, since I only started swimming sophomore year) competetive.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page