Fat letter, thin letter? How true is it?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: March 2003 Archive: Fat letter, thin letter? How true is it?
By Spiff on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 04:07 pm: Edit

The myth is that a fat letter is good, a thin letter... bad. Does anyone know from expirence to how true this may be?

By ddd on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 04:39 pm: Edit

my college counselor said that half the time that wasn't true, so just open the letter

By Olivia Williamson on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:31 pm: Edit

Well, let's put it this way: if you're rejected, they're unlikely to be sending you a big fat envelope with lots of forms.

On the other hand, quite often acceptance letters are just one or two pages, and then you get the big fat envelope later. So, there's no guarantee that a thin envelope is bad news, but a fat envelope is usually good news.

- Olivia

By SF Native on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 07:42 pm: Edit

From experience...

Harvard, Princeton, JHU, MIT, Chicago, and Penn sent thick envelopes for acceptance last year.

Yale and Brown sent thin envelopes for waitlist.

Northwestern (Medill) sent thin envelope for rejection.

By Wildcat07 on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 11:23 am: Edit

yeah, NU sends thin envelopes for both decisions...however, the acceptance ones are big and the rejection are standard small envelopes

By Dadster on Sunday, December 15, 2002 - 02:57 pm: Edit

By and large the thick/think generalization is true. Some colleges put "congratulations" on the outside of the acceptances. I recall a few years ago someone getting a thin acceptance with a message on the outside that said something like, "This is your THICK envelope!"

By Kahuna613 (Kahuna613) on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 02:09 pm: Edit

I got a thin envelope from Georgetown for acceptance. It only had 3 sheets and a return envelope on the inside.

By swat07 on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 05:05 pm: Edit

The ED letter for Swarthmore was also real thin. Not business-letter small, but almost card sized. Contained two sheets of paper and an envelope.

By K-TOWN Tulane on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 06:21 pm: Edit

Tulane University sent out a big envelope but was thin. It was the first piece of mail I saw from them that didn't have the "party theme graphics" on the cover so I thought it was a denial letter but it was quite the contrary. GO TULANE '07 BME ENGINEERING!

By Gregon on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Deferred Harvard - single sheet inside normal sized envelop

Accepted ND - full sized envelop with folder inside.

By just meee on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 10:50 pm: Edit

i got into penn state and the envelope was large w/ congratulations written on it...

i also got into nyu, and their envelope was pretty thick too (nothing written on it tho)

By RamiroT on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 12:38 am: Edit

does anybody know what the acceptance letter from the University of Texas at Austin looks like?

or from Texas A&M?

thanx a lot

By cornell03 on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 12:57 am: Edit

cornell:

CALS, human ecology, ilr: thin letter
arts, hotel, architecture, engineering: thick letter

By Patience on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 10:07 am: Edit

I think that for Early Decision acceptances the letter does not have to be a big/fat one--there's just the acceptance letter plus a form to sign and return, finalizing the ED commitment. (Colleges seem to vary on whether they include financial aid info in the same notification envelope.) I think that most colleges like to send something a little more hefty, knowing that kids are making judgments based upon the envelope size. My son got a calendar and a decal for his car window along with his acceptance, so it did come in a big envelope.

By WinK on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 09:17 pm: Edit

Tufts ED acceptance letter came in a business size envelope. It was a little thin with only 3 sheets.

By SarahG on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

This year the Brown ED acceptance letter came in a very THIN envelope . . . I temporarily freaked out when I saw the envelope size, but all was well :)

By tenisghs on Thursday, January 02, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

When I got accepted to University of Michigan, it was a thick envelope with the school info, congratulations sheet, and other forms to return for admission.

By Go Jumbos on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

The Tufts envelope was rather unremarkable...

By f on Friday, January 03, 2003 - 06:48 pm: Edit

this whole thing sounds scary

By Art (Art) on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 03:44 pm: Edit

i got a thin envelope a week after I applied early action..heart attack...it was just an envelope saying they got my stuff and wuld be reviewiing it soon... a day or two later another thin envelope....sheesh...financial aide information that neededn to be sent back to the school .cripes what is wrong with thse people.

By Adam G. on Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 07:36 pm: Edit

Rose Hulman sent their acceptance in a thin envelope.

By nathanmo on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 10:22 pm: Edit

Stanford has "Congratulations!" in big red letters on the outside of the envelope for the acceptance letter, so that kind of ruins the tension. But in a good way, obviously.

It was also big, with a folder inside.

By adam on Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 11:06 pm: Edit

Nathan Clement, perhaps?

By f on Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

University of Illinois sends a fat packet of info

By TB on Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 11:18 pm: Edit

"cornell:

CALS, human ecology, ilr: thin letter
arts, hotel, architecture, engineering: thick letter "

for ED Cornell Architecture sent out a thin letter..well 2 actually, one from AAP admissions (2 papers/return envelope), one from the architecture program itself .

By cornell bound on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 10:11 am: Edit

That's not true. I got into Cornell engineering early decision and my letter was thin. All it had was the acceptance letter, some other sheet of paper, and the "deposit coupon". But it may be different for regular decision.

By Penn007 on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 11:06 am: Edit

U Penn-ED. Thin letter in 8.5 x 11 envolope - but you can find out on line which is the way all schools should do it. No death walk to the mail box.

By nathanmo on Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 03:50 pm: Edit

Why, yes, actually. MSA?

I'm glad I called Stanford. Originally I'd planned to wait for the letter so as to enjoy the full aesthetic of the experience. I'd have been furious if I'd waited only to have the tension broken before I even got the envelope open.

By Cicero (Cicero) on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 01:32 pm: Edit

I'm just not going to open mine. I'll let my friends handle that and give me that stats later. You guys are freaking me out.

By curiousgirl on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 12:59 am: Edit

nathanmo, can u post ur stats?

By adam.s. on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:13 am: Edit

yeah MSA... i also sent you a mail on the MSA board but you havent replied.

By R on Sunday, January 19, 2003 - 01:56 pm: Edit

NYU's acceptance letter was big thick packet. White with blue lettering, and a logo saying "A Tradition of Excellence" written across the bottom. I was also informed online the Friday AFTER that though...they sent emails to all accepted students.

I LOVE that "death walk to the mailbox," Penn07. Classic! My packet came way earlier than they said it would though, so I was not yet at the point of cold sweating when it arrived. =)

-R

By DoubleTake on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 02:41 am: Edit

Northwestern, Yale, Stanford, Cornell, and Harvard all had thick envelopes. I believe Princeton also had thick envelopes, although I was rejected.

By sondogg on Monday, January 20, 2003 - 08:28 pm: Edit

wow, doubletake what were your stats

By nat on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

Princeton has a thick envelope containing a folder, car decal, pamphlet, and statement of the honor code.

On the other hand, my friend got into UVA ED and it was a small, think envelope.

My friend's grandfather is a professor at Georgetown, and last year her sister applied EA. She got deferred, then rejected, but her rejection envelope was thick. They were asking her to contribute money, since her grandfather teaches there and all. I found that amusing.

By poststatsplease on Wednesday, January 22, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

everyone on this post, please post stats

By DoubleTake on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:15 am: Edit

My stats are not that great but I got very lucky with many schools. I applied as an art and music major, so standards were probably lower.

SAT 1460 (800V 660M)

SAT II: Writing 800, US History (710), Mathiic (690)

APs: Language 4, Literature 5, Biology 3, Music theory 5, US History 3.

EC's: Some art and music competitions. Theater.

From white middle class family. At Yale now.

By DoubleTake on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 12:19 am: Edit

Also, I barely made top 10% (like 9.81%)

By Shelinda (Shelinda) on Sunday, January 26, 2003 - 03:24 pm: Edit

This is kind of stupid since it's abt Oxford but anyway...

My acceptance letter was thin, but they send it RECORDED DELIVERY (in the UK anyway), so the postman's gotta ring the doorbell and get your signature b4 he lets you have it...it came at 7:30 am on a saturday...i practically had a heart attack...

By sparyplugg on Wednesday, January 29, 2003 - 06:10 pm: Edit

Does UNC send thin letters for acceptances?

By Lucky (Lucky) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 09:35 pm: Edit

I applied to 14 schools and got into 12, including 5 out of my 6 Ivy applications (I didn't apply to Brown nor Cornell), but the one that really matters to me now, Dartmouth, sent a thin letter in February (I applied RD) that was a "Likely Letter," in which they successfully curried my favor by telling me that although all decisions have not yet been made, my acceptance was "very likely."

I got two other letters like that from Yale and Harvard. By the way, just to show how random the college application process can be, I was admitted to Oxford but was not to admitted to neither Princeton nor Washington State University (in Walla Walla)! Ah, c'est la vie.

Stats, although they're really irrelevant now and I don't generally like to share them because it drives competition:

Graduated from HS at 15, Valedictorian with 4.0 (uw, as my HS didn't offer APs and since I figured I was going to college early I would not try to take the tests independently)
Attended college at U of Washington - Seattle for two years
Earned an Associate Degree in Sociology and Psychology
Transferred to Dartmouth Fall Term 2002

1/4 German, 1/4 Spanish, 1/4 South African, 1/4 Native American (enrolled with tribal membership)
First-generation college student
Did not check race/ethnicity boxes on application
Two Deaf parents, first language was American Sign Language
Attended all-Deaf primary school until age 8 due to misdiagnosis of hearing capacities
Youngest certified ASL interpreter in WA State
Trilingual (ASL, English, Spanish: working on Mandarin Chinese but it's not looking too good, I shouldn't be greedy)

PSAT: 238 National Merit Scholar
SAT I: 1570; 790 V and 780 M in June of "Sophomore" Year
(Best score in my HS's 124 year history, which isn't saying much for the school considering that up until I took it, the high score was 1300)

SAT II:
Spanish: 800
Writing: 800
English Lit: 790
Bio-E: 780

EC:
Nationally ranked, Tennis
All-state, Lacrosse
Co-founder, theTRUTH.com
Model for Gap, Inc.
Wrote autobiography (not yet published, finishing my first year at Dartmouth before I try)
Elementary through college-level tutor
ASL Interpreter/Instructor
REALLY REALLY bad at guitar
Wrote a song (lyrics, not melody!) for Michelle Branch
MTV VJ in Cancun and VJ for a Day winner
Finalist for MTV's Real World Paris (deferred until subsequent season because I don't want to interrupt my first year @ D)
Contributor to Teen People Magazine
Advice columnist as "Tucker" for Alloy.com

Yeah, that's it... Again, I don't usually like talking about my stats for a number of reasons (disbelief, comparison, competition, self-deprecation) but those are what they were/are.

Best wishes for your college apps,
Lucky

By tt on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 09:53 pm: Edit

Lucky...was this last year? You ended up choosing Dartmouth over Harvard and Yale? Did you get into Stanford? Where all did you apply? Stats? I am intrigued...you must have done something spectacular to have such a high success rate.

By .... on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 10:05 pm: Edit

Lucky what were your stats?

By Lucky (Lucky) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 10:10 pm: Edit

Yeah, I picked Dartmouth over Harvard and Yale because, after visiting, they weren't as cool as I would have liked. Initially Harvard was the "dream school," but it wasn't a good fit for me. I wanted a change from the Seattle big city environment, and Hanover is perfect for me. Here are the schools to which I applied and the results:

Dartmouth, yes (here I am)
Harvard, yes
Columbia, yes
Yale, yes
Princeton, no
Penn, yes
Amherst, yes
Swarthmore, yes
Williams, yes
Stanford, yes
Georgetown, yes
Oxford, yes
Cambridge, yes
Washington State, no

Yes, I transferred to Dartmouth this year as of Fall Term 2002.

Lucky

By uman on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Lucky could you post your stats please?

By Lucky (Lucky) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 10:21 pm: Edit

I thought they were listed above, I edited my first post. I'll cut and paste them here again and apologize in advance if they come up twice.

Stats, although they're really irrelevant now and I don't generally like to share them because it drives competition:

Graduated from HS at 15, Valedictorian with 4.0 (uw, as my HS didn't offer APs and since I figured I was going to college early I would not try to take the tests independently)
Attended college at U of Washington - Seattle for two years
Earned an Associate Degree in Sociology and Psychology
Transferred to Dartmouth Fall Term 2002

1/4 German, 1/4 Spanish, 1/4 South African, 1/4 Native American (enrolled with tribal membership)
First-generation college student
Did not check race/ethnicity boxes on application
Two Deaf parents, first language was American Sign Language
Attended all-Deaf primary school until age 8 due to misdiagnosis of hearing capacities
Youngest certified ASL interpreter in WA State
Trilingual (ASL, English, Spanish: working on Mandarin Chinese but it's not looking too good, I shouldn't be greedy)

PSAT: 238 National Merit Scholar
SAT I: 1570; 790 V and 780 M in June of "Sophomore" Year
(Best score in my HS's 124 year history, which isn't saying much for the school considering that up until I took it, the high score was 1300)

SAT II:
Spanish: 800
Writing: 800
English Lit: 790
Bio-E: 780

EC:
Nationally ranked, Tennis
All-state, Lacrosse
Co-founder, theTRUTH.com
Model for Gap, Inc.
Wrote autobiography (not yet published, finishing my first year at Dartmouth before I try)
Elementary through college-level tutor
ASL Interpreter/Instructor
REALLY REALLY bad at guitar
Wrote a song (lyrics, not melody!) for Michelle Branch
MTV VJ in Cancun and VJ for a Day winner
Finalist for MTV's Real World Paris (deferred until subsequent season because I don't want to interrupt my first year @ D)
Contributor to Teen People Magazine
Advice columnist as "Tucker" for Alloy.com

Yeah, that's it... Again, I don't usually like talking about my stats for a number of reasons (disbelief, comparison, competition, self-deprecation) but those are what they were/are.

Best wishes for your college apps,
Lucky

By tt on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 10:52 pm: Edit

Geeze Lucky, your stats are better than Jesus's. LOL. Are you a prodigy of some sort? I've never seen anything like that before. Wow. Is that your real e-mail in your profile? Looks fake. How is Dartmouth? Can I ask what about Harvard turned you off? Just curious, because it has always seemed ideal to me.

By tt on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

Oh yes, congratulations. I forgot to say that. Has Dartmouth been tough? Can I ask if you are still making straight A's? I bet you are...

By Lucky (Lucky) on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

LOL at the comment about my stats being better than Jesus's. Unfortunately though my stats don't include Messiah of Christianity. He beat me by three votes. LOL, big j/k.

Yeah, one of the big things at Dartmouth is called BlitzMail, our school's e-mail system. It's like a cell phone in that it's always immediately accessible (at last check, there is always a computer BlitzMail station within fifty feet and everyone is required to own a computer, 80% of which are laptops) and we use it so often that telephones are generally obsolete.

Dartmouth was the first Ivy to go wireless, meaning that those of us with laptops can go in one of the ten+ libraries, on the Green, in a dorm lounge, or even in classes and have full access to our wireless Ethernet.

Anyway, another feature of BlitzMail are BlitzNicks (or BlitzMail nicknames) which allow you to select up to eight nicknames that will make it easier for people on-campus to e-mail you. Because it's an all-campus program, if "Sally J. Smith" picks the nickname "Sally07," then people can "Blitz" (our terminology for e-mail, which I use regularly) Sally by merely typing Sally07 rather than Sally.J.Smith@Dartmouth.edu; it is just easier.

People pick BlitzNicks that reflect their personality, initials or sometimes just funny items. Obviously, there is no overlap allowed (because then the message wouldn't be sent). One of the ones I chose was "Popular." It's funny and is a lot easier than typing my whole name into the login.

Messages sent to Popular@Dartmouth.edu are sent to my official school e-mail address and when I respond contains my full name in the "Sender" area of the Blitz.

Thanks for the congratulations, tt. Dartmouth is excellent; the four distinct seasons are a welcome change from Seattle's consistently overcast [although not excessively rainy] weather. Besides it being beautiful, some of the nicest people in the world go here. You get all of the prestige with none of the attitude. Well, to say "none" isn't totally fair as there are some people with superiority complexes but those people exist anywhere you go. Dartmouth just has fewer, that's all.

In fairness, I didn't really experience much snobbiness at Harvard nor Yale but there was considerably less at Dartmouth. Harvard and Yale are both EXCELLENT schools and are terrific for some people but they just weren't for me. Working with TRUTH is my passion and unfortunately there wasn't as much support for me and the organization as I'd like (which is totally fine but some people were particularly rude in blowing smoke in my face) along with some other things for which I didn't particularly care.

Grades went well last term, as are classes this term, (we also have the D-Plan, which is a quarter-based class system rather than semesters so students at Dartmouth have the opportunity for four sessions in a year) but I don't really like to discuss grades in a large forum like this one. I did well, and if you'd REALLY like to know how I define "well," you can Blitz me personally.

If you have any more questions about Dartmouth (or the Ivies in general as I serve on the Ivy Council [like student council except it's discussing the Ivies in general and not just your school]), feel free to ask me.

Lucky

Oh, and before I forget, I choose to visit this site because of a few friends in HS now who are juniors and seniors and want me to help them out in their search. :)

By Steve on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

•••• ... Lucky, will you marry me?

By Steve on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 - 03:57 pm: Edit

Columbia - Rejection Thin
Harvard - Deferral Thin
BC - Acceptance Thick (felt good after 2 rejections from Columbia and Harvard)

By Lucky (Lucky) on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 01:37 pm: Edit

Oh, Steve. You're so funny!

Are you at BC now or this upcoming fall? Dartmouth plays BC in some sports.

Lucky

By yep on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 12:19 am: Edit

my envelopes so far:
Georgia Tech acceptance: thick
Tulane acceptance: thick

By Cru (Cru) on Friday, February 07, 2003 - 04:11 am: Edit

I too want to receive acceptance letters.

By yep on Saturday, February 08, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

Oh Cru, don't worry about it. You'll be fine. You applied to Cornell too, right? So did I....it's so difficult..so nervewracking to wait until April to discover the results from each college.

By Spiff on Sunday, February 09, 2003 - 02:57 pm: Edit

Marietta College - Acceptance, Thin small, one sheet and return envelope.
Guilford College - Acceptance, Large thick, folder inside.
Emerson College - Deferral - Thin small, one letter.

By AFPB on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 03:40 pm: Edit

I read so much into the thin letter/thick letter thing that on the morning that I got a letter from the University of Cambridge (Peterhouse), I nearly had a heart attack. It was thin! I just said, "Oh, it's a rejection..." and opened with a little bit of prompting. The first thing that fell out of the envelope was a piece of paper saying "If you choose to accept this offer." I think it's all just a myth.

By Milena on Monday, February 10, 2003 - 03:49 pm: Edit

University of Southern California- extremely thick envelope

By Calista on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:39 pm: Edit

Bumpity bump bump

By Nkemdilim on Thursday, February 13, 2003 - 03:40 pm: Edit

If they send it with priority or express mail it's a ver good sign. so far this has happened to me twice when I earned large merit scholarships.

By princetonhopeful on Saturday, February 15, 2003 - 10:49 am: Edit

ahhhhhhhhhhh i can't wait until april!!!!!!!!!!!

By AlbertH on Wednesday, February 19, 2003 - 04:45 pm: Edit

Of the following acceptance envelopes. The Harvard letter for JFK school of Govt. contained only a few pieces of paper and a return envelope for my acceptance. NYU was a rather thin acceptance. Penn State and Univ. of Delaware was thick. Penn college was thick, Brown was rather thin. I recieved no response from Oxford or Yale (unknown why there was no rejection letter). And Columbia was the thickest that I got back. Overall there is no proof that thin is bad. -Btw I enrolled into Harvard, although I have yet to visit the campus.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Friday, February 21, 2003 - 09:30 pm: Edit

News bulletin: UCLA is going to a "thin" acceptance letter starting next year. All the supplemental material will be accessed on-line according to directions in the letter. The letter itself is going to get its first re-write in 15 years.

We now return you to regularly scheduled programming.

By errrr on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 11:45 pm: Edit

"Lucky"
You cannot apply to both Oxford and Cambridge.
It is a rule!
How the hell did you get into both, then?

By Shelinda (Shelinda) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 06:06 am: Edit

You can apply to both if you're a grad student or an undergrad organ/choral scholar. Maybe Lucky was one of these...

By Aatherealone (Aatherealone) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 07:43 am: Edit

what were your stats albert H

By q2e on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 12:52 pm: Edit

umm, like i said, lucky is full of ••••, there are many holes in his "story".

By Shelinda (Shelinda) on Sunday, February 23, 2003 - 02:57 pm: Edit

i agree

By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Saturday, March 01, 2003 - 06:27 pm: Edit

Cornell CALS rd - small letter size envelope. very decieving, almost heartbreaking
Colgate - rd - full size envelope - the sticker fell out of the envelope as I opened the package and gave away the surprise

By Ephnayllie (Ephnayllie) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

Cornell sent out rd letters already?

By Noclass (Noclass) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Does anyone have a clue how NYU sends out their RD letters?
Thanks.

By Nyguy (Nyguy) on Sunday, March 02, 2003 - 10:11 pm: Edit

Cornell sends out letters rolling beginning on Feb 15 for the state funded schools. I got into the Ag school as a biological/environmental engineering major. As a ny resident this is a cheaper way for me to get a cornell education and degree for suny prices.

By Congocross (Congocross) on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 02:18 am: Edit

Check out this website to get most of your answers!
http://www.mindspring.com/~deloggio/homepage/faq/hearing/newenv.htm

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:30 am: Edit

Hey Nyguy... when did you get your acceptance letter from Cornell? What date did you send your app. out?

By Amandacarin (Amandacarin) on Saturday, March 08, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Oversized envelopes from: SUNY at Buffalo, SUNY at Stony Brook, SUNY Geneseo, U of Michigan

Regular sized, but thick from: University of the Sciences in Philly

By Binarydigit1010 (Binarydigit1010) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 07:35 am: Edit

has anyone got dartmouth likely letters?

By Cruelfate (Cruelfate) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:42 am: Edit

Hey Nyguy... when did you get your acceptance letter from Cornell? What date did you send your app. out?

By Medusa2003 (Medusa2003) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:09 pm: Edit

Thin letter acceptances - Macalester, Grinnell, University of Kansas, Truman State University.

Big thick envelope - University of Arizona

By Wadad (Wadad) on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Fat envelope acceptance from Whitman. Stamped "Congratulations" on the outside.

By Moi (Moi) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:44 am: Edit

What about the colleges that email the decision to you...

Does the subject give an indication of what the decision will be?

By Thedad (Thedad) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 11:14 am: Edit

The fat e-mail is good news, the thin e-mail is bad.

By Kalitiha (Kalitiha) on Monday, March 10, 2003 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Truman State University: Huge envelope with "Congratulations" marked on the outside.

Don't particularly want to go there, but still that really ruins the anticipation if you don't even have to open the envelope to know the decision.

By Proudtobemom (Proudtobemom) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 11:08 am: Edit

Case Western Reserve University. Very thick, sent overnight Express (with an offer to fly to the school, at their cost, to compete for a full ride scholarship).

Gee, what's CWRU and Cleveland like for a math major?

By Wembleyfraggle7 (Wembleyfraggle7) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 12:05 pm: Edit

thedad...that comment certainly broke the tension for a minute :-)
but i'm still slipping slowly into the land of the crazies waiting for april to come. only two schools i applied to have rolling admissions, and i've heard back from one so far...anyone hear from u of rochester yet?

By Timepass (Timepass) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 02:01 pm: Edit

I'm International and I got a congratulations e-mail from IIT!!

By Christabell (Christabell) on Tuesday, March 11, 2003 - 02:42 pm: Edit

^_^ I got accepted to Florida Southern (my TOP college choice...Eh..and only one I applied to) with a very thin letter. And I've gotten things from them practically everyday since, but I got a LOT thicker letters from them (more sparsely--once every month or two) before I ever applied.

By Icee (Icee) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 02:22 am: Edit

The 3 colleges (rolling admissions) I've been accepted to have been thick packages.

By Wembleyfraggle7 (Wembleyfraggle7) on Friday, March 14, 2003 - 05:22 pm: Edit

icee...what were the schools?

By Randy80016 (Randy80016) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 02:39 am: Edit

lol- I don't see the purpose of this, seeing as how if you have the letter in your posession, you can open it, and until it is in your possession, you don't know what size it is.

But to keep this going- USC was huge, Colorado School of Mines was small, both were acceptances.
MIT told me to keep waiting with a small letter.

I think its better to judge by number of papers in the envelope- if you can feel more than 1 you got in.

What I'd like to see is a selective school sending a large packet with a red "congratulations" stamped on the side, which when opened informs the recipient "Congrats. you won't have to work your arse off at " The rest of the packet could be filled with a suggestions for coping with your disappointment-you know, relaxation techniques and what not.

By Congocross (Congocross) on Saturday, March 15, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

The purpose of this is to prepare one in case of an heart attack. I know I will have one if I recieve "bad" one from University of Notre Dame.

By Bill (Bill) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Accepted- United States Naval Academy. They don't get a lot tougher than that-THIN envelope!

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 08:27 pm: Edit

UCLA - Fat
USC - Fat
Cal Poly SLO - Thin

And congrats to Bill for the Naval Academy acceptance! I'm impressed! Did you also apply to Air Force Academy?

By Bill (Bill) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 08:36 pm: Edit

I did. Haven't heard from them yet. The Air Force Academy is actually my first choice. I attended the Summer Scientific Seminar last year and really enjoyed it. I understand that 1,000 letters are going out tomorrow (based on an article I read in the paper today). USNA was my second choice but I'd be very happy with it. I went to that Summer Seminar last year too and fell in love with the place. I also got a 4 year AFROTC scholarship to use at a college of my choice but I'm sure I'll stick with an Academy. Good luck. Where are you hoping to end up in the fall?

By Cornellian07 (Cornellian07) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 08:57 pm: Edit

My acceptance letters:

Cornell - Thin (but it was Early Decision)
RPI - Thick Packet (Regular Decision... I withdrew from them, but they still sent me an acceptance letter!!!)
SUNY Binghamton - Thin (Early Action)

Deferred letter:

MIT - Thin, obviously (Early action)

I got the gist that they generally have thick packets for RD acceptances and thin letters for everything else

By Leebob (Leebob) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 09:24 pm: Edit

I realize that many schools use a "rolling" acceptance notification process.

But is anyone aware of the "drop-dead" dates for hearing something (either good or bad)from:

Stanford?
UC Berkeley?
US Navy Academy?
US Air Force Academy?
U. of Michigan?

By Crackcorn (Crackcorn) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 10:07 pm: Edit

I wish you luck with Air Force Academy. I bet you get in! Part of me wishes I'd applied there, but I didn't. UCLA is/was my target school. USC, Cal Poly SLO and UCSD are my "safety" schools. Berkeley, Johns Hopkins, Columbia and Stanford are my "reach" schools.

By Bill (Bill) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

I have heard that all Academy appointments should be out by the end of March but I have also heard that there have been people who have been offered appointments as late as June if some successful candidates decide to go elsewhere. Good luck!

By Bill (Bill) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:17 pm: Edit

Crackcorn,
In addition to the Air Force and Naval Academies, I also applied to the Coast Guard Academy. I was fortunate to land a 4 year AFROTC scholarship so my ALO's suggested I apply to some other top schools in case the Academies didn't work out. I ended up sending applications out to Harvard (major reach), MIT (even more so), Cornell (maybe), Yale, Worcester Polytech (accepted early action), Stonehill (ditto),and Notre Dame. We'll see. April 1 is coming fast. Even if I was to get in to MIT or Harvard, I'd still stick to the Academies. Best of luck to you!

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:22 pm: Edit

did you take the ASVAB????

By Bill (Bill) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

No-just the SAT.

By Incognito (Incognito) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:27 pm: Edit

really? . I thought you had to take it. So then is the SAT simply a substitute for the ASVAB or what?....

By Bill (Bill) on Sunday, March 16, 2003 - 11:41 pm: Edit

I don't believe the ASVAB has anything to do with Academy selection, only if you intend to enlist in the service.

By Rachel_E (Rachel_E) on Monday, March 17, 2003 - 08:55 am: Edit

Congratulations on the USNA Appointment! I also got accepted but, like you, am still waiting for the verdict from the USAFA - I don't think my PAE was very impressive so I'm not too hopeful. Living overseas can be so frustrating because it can take up to a week longer for me to receive any letters and communication!
The Air Force was originally my first choice as well, but I've had the offer form the Navy for several weeks now and am getting quite used to the idea of spending 'four years by the bay'. I haven't visited either Academy (yet...I'm off to Annapolis next weekend on the visitation program) so I'd be interested to hear what you thought of both places.
Congratulations and Good Luck with the USAFA!

By Ml41588 (Ml41588) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 03:12 pm: Edit

holy •••• lucky!

By Bill (Bill) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 06:08 pm: Edit

Hi Rachel,
I was in the first session last summer. Heard anything yet? I still have not received anything and don't know of anyone who has. The USAFA site indicated that the cut off date for regular decision was the 15th of March but it also had a copy of a letter to appointees (explaining the scandal) that was dated 2/26. I thought the letters might go out last week but I'm not sure that they did. The USAFA Summer Scientific Message Board has been dead since the summer. I went there, thinking people might post something if they heard anything.
Good luck.
Bill

By Asdf (Asdf) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 06:32 pm: Edit

Wash U waitlist comes in a thin envelope.

By Leebob (Leebob) on Saturday, March 22, 2003 - 07:54 pm: Edit

Air Force Academy, fat package. Sort of throws my UCLA or Ga Tech debate out the window. Still gotta wait to hear from Cal-Berkeley or Stanford.

But I am already sending my decline into Ga. Tech, UCLA, and U. of Wash. - can't ask my folks to pay. Hope that helps someone else out there.

By Usna_Reject (Usna_Reject) on Saturday, December 27, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

Hehe. I always went by that method ever since I was that daria Is It College Yet? movie on MTV.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page