JROTC viewed negativly by colleges?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: JROTC viewed negativly by colleges?
By Eagle200 (Eagle200) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 09:44 am: Edit

Hi,

I'm a high school senior from Texas, and I'm very involved in JROTC. As a Junior, I have served as the battalion XO, and I will most probably be promoted to the position of Battalion Commander this year. I am the captain of our drill team, rifle team, and raiders teams. I have been and still am highly involved in the training of new recruits and junior officers, and this year, on my free period, I will be a teaching assistant for one of our instructors. I have also led and participated in a lot of other JROTC-related activities.

My unit has been designated an Honor Unit with Distinction. I have won quite a lot of awards, and so has the teams I lead.

JROTC is my life. But the problem here is, that I'd like to go to a college up north-- and I've been told that they wouldn't look at this favorably. Can any northener here tell me if this is true or not?

Thanks.

By Ctrain890 (Ctrain890) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 10:05 am: Edit

Whoever told you that is an idiot. Your involvement with the JROTC shows a lot of dedication, and that's what they are looking for.

By Eagle200 (Eagle200) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 11:19 am: Edit

That's great to hear! I've been told so many times that they're all liberals up there, and that they are dead against anything even remotely related to the military. Glad to hear they're wrong.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 12:57 pm: Edit

http://rotc.armstrong.edu/LinksROTCSchbySchool.htm

Lots of schools on that list :)

By Digmedia (Digmedia) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

Here's a message from a liberal: I think that what you've listed there shows lots of leadership experience and also indicates that you will be a future leader. And that's what colleges are in the business of looking for.

However, I won't downplay the cultural differences; there's no doubt you may find some Northeasterners (students) initially looking down on a southern or Texas accent (I know this is going to stir up a lot of controversy) and that really has nothing to do with the ROTC involvement. Just be prepared for it and don't take it too seriously. You'll make friends and then they won't care one way or the other.

Are you looking to continue the ROTC involvement?

By Dadx (Dadx) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 01:43 pm: Edit

Your question probably refers to the fact that a number of "elite" northeastern colleges expelled ROTC from their campuses decades ago during the vietnam war. Recently, the view of this exclusion has been reversing, especially after we were attacked two years ago.See the link here for a look into the issue from the rotc point of view.
http://advocatesforrotc.org/

You should probably look into the specific schools position on it and read their newpaper online to get a feeling for the current atmosphere on that particular campus..they are not all the same, and the people most in favor of keeping them off tend to be the professors.

By Eagle200 (Eagle200) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 05:28 pm: Edit

Thanks for your responses.

I've been warned by my cousin (who went to college in Massachusetts) about the snobbish attitude some people have toward southerners, but I'm not too worried-- I'm sure I won't be the only southerner around.

I'm not sure if I want to continue into ROTC. I will most probably do it, but I haven't really decided on that yet.

Dadx, thanks for the advice regarding the school papers. I will definitely check it out.

Thanks for your help.

By Jayv85 (Jayv85) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 09:43 am: Edit

Southerners are awesome. And this is coming from a person that's lived in NJ her whole life. Not everyone will be close-minded about southerners up here, but most are.

I'm doing the opposite of you, I'm going down south to college. lol.

Our school doesn't have JROTC, I even requested to get it in our school (can't see why not), but they said they wouldn't get it, so that was out.

From what I know, colleges like the commitment you put into it. So I wouldn't worry.

By Andrew (Andrew) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 10:23 am: Edit

Same, southerners are awesome indeed. I don't think that a lot of people are prejudiced against southerners in the north. However, among more of the less educated such sentiments are fairly prevalent. It's uneducated people falsely accusing southerners of being backward. My boss at work was often ridiculed for being southern, but he was successful and above those who rebuked him for being southern. In academia, I do not see the same persecution I think more because education is founded on the principle that a person must be valued for who they truly are.

Anyway, back on subject, your JROTC is really great and definitely a plus for schools. It is valued at a lot of Northern schools. And although it seems liberals control the northeast, no one group really represents an area - that would be the same situation of stereotypical assumptions as with those about southerners. It's a mixed situation at times but if you're confident in who you are, then it shouldn't bother you. That's my thoughts on the matter, thanks for listening.

By Greatsurgeon (Greatsurgeon) on Saturday, August 30, 2003 - 10:44 am: Edit

hey dude. Air Force JROTC cadet here. hahah except im in korea, and im only a captain... but only 3 years of ROTC, started sophomore year....

whoever told you that was nuts man, colleges dig rotc, unless your planning on applying to some military hating school. you know, if you like rotc that much, go to the USMA, or the air force academy. but ROTC shouldnt hinder, only help

good luck man
c/Captain justin park hahaha

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page