What are my chances of getting into Princeton in Fall of 200

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: What are my chances of getting into Princeton in Fall of 200
By Ageorgis (Ageorgis) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Hi everyone. I consider myself to have fallen into a pretty unique category for college admissions. I've got some pretty weird numbers that will certainly turn a few heads at admissions. Why do I say this? Well...

Here's the deal. I had absolutely horrible grades the first 2 years of high school. I had an immense amount of stress in my life at the time. My Mother was recovering from cancer and my Aunt actually got cancer my freshman year. It was very hard for me and I ended failed 4 classes the first two years in high school. I went to summer school to make a few of them up though. But still, I ended up with a horrible GPA.

Then I made straight Cs the beginning of my Junior year and actually made honor roll spring of my junior year. Here's where the weird statistics come in. I actually decided that I really needed to do something to help get my GPA up. I decided to dual enroll at the community college mid way through my junior year. So yes, that 3.0 average I received the spring of my junior year was in ADDITION to taking night classes (those classes are not averaged into that high school semester).

So the thing is, right now I've got a 2.1 High school GPA, and a 4.0 College GPA with 9 college credits so far. I'm taking 2 college classes this fall at night in addition to the normal amount at my high school (4). I've got 2 AP classes in there. I'm extremely focused now and I strongly believe that I can get straight As.
My SAT score is 1220 for the second time taking it, with no prep material like Princeton Review.

So, in addition to the grades I have tried to get as many Extra Curricular activies as well:

Model UN club officer 2 years
Community service work for PTA
Church youth group
Wrestling 2 years
Steady job for 2 years
Works with county supervisor
SPCA community service work
Nursing home work
Neighborhood trash collecting
Neighborhood flyer delivery
Local middle school work
Salvation army work

Also, I have some extremely positive recommendations from a teacher that has had me when I did horrible in school to when I started to shape up again. I also have a recommendation from my Principal!

So in a nutshell, if I get straight As, I will have a 2.67 GPA in high school, and a 4.0 college GPA with 15 credits... With all of my extra curricular activites, do I have any chance of getting into Princeton or maybe even Yale? Would a very well composed essay or great interview help me out any? Thanks for all of your help.

-Alex

EDIT: I see 2004 was cut off. This is for the 2004 Fall semester. Also, I'd just like to add that I am a minority, Greek. Perhaps that will help? Thanks again.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

I don't want to discourage from your pursuit to Princeton, but you have to realize that the number one factor in college admissions is GPA, and a 2.1 isn't going to cut it at Princeton. Your Greek minority status won't get you anywhere. First thing you have to do is have a serious talk with your guidance counselor. It's most likely that it will be his responsibility to explain your grade performance and the factors (cancer) that contributed it. Also, study, study, study for the SAT I's and SAT II's and make sure to get the highest possibile grades Senior year. Colleges can sometimes ignore bad grades if there is a noticeable improvement to an higher achievement level. Also, what the challenge level of your courses during Freshmen, Sophomore, Junior, and the upcoming Senior year?

By Ageorgis (Ageorgis) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 07:10 pm: Edit

I realize my 2.1 is very bad. But when I apply, it will be a ~2.7 if everything goes as planned.

Also, I will have 5 college courses already completed, and I've already received As in 3 of them.

The challenge level of my freshman and sophomore years were almost as high as they could go, as AP classes aren't offered in my school until junior year, so during my Junior year I took them, and did fairly well. My school is on a system of 4 classes per semester, so I had 1 AP class during my second semester in addition to 3 at night at one of the local colleges.

This fall I have 2 AP classes, one "advanced" class, and 2 more college night classes. I have signed up for the SAT II in Dec for US History/World History, and in Oct for Writing/Literature. I'm hoping that since I've already completed college level US and World History courses, I'll be able to do fairly well on the SAT II.

I know that my statistics are not that impressive as far as GPA is concerned, but I've tried to make my credentials as round as I possibly could. Thanks, let me know what you think with this info in mind. :)

By Ctrain890 (Ctrain890) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 07:17 pm: Edit

Regardless of how much you bring up your GPA, explaining away a 1220 is going to take a miracle.

Why are you so set on Princeton? If you're REALLY adamant about it, you might want to consider going to CC full-time for a year as like a remedial year, then re-applying to P-ton as a freshman for the class of '09

By Ageorgis (Ageorgis) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 07:19 pm: Edit

Princeton doesn't accept transfer students currently. :(

I have a lot of extended family members that went to Princeton and live in the area.

Oh, and the SAT score I'm not too worried about. I'm going to start Princeton Review tutoring next week so I have no doubt that I can achieve no less than a 1320...

Edit: Well I guess you can tell why my SAT is so low, my reading comprehension is horrible :) Re apply as a Freshman for year of '09? Would they even look at my high school GPA or would they solely look upon my CC grades?

By Sunshine916 (Sunshine916) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 07:31 pm: Edit

ahhhhhhh SAT tutoring is useless. dont waste your money. trust me. i've shelled out over $1000 for Kaplan and raised my score a whole 10 points.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page