Will putting UNDECIDED help me get into more colleges?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Will putting UNDECIDED help me get into more colleges?
By Nyla (Nyla) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 10:23 pm: Edit

even tho i have some idea of what fields im interested in, i can't narrow it down. I also heard that with selective schools it is better to go undecided esp. if ur interested in one of their more popular majors....is that true?

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 11:30 pm: Edit

won't matter much. and usually if your major matches w/ your high school activities it might show dedication.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Friday, August 29, 2003 - 10:39 am: Edit

For popular majors at selective schools, indicating clear commitments, backed up with HS experience, certainly helps separate you from the pack. And since you must customize applications to selective schools, there is no problem specifying different majors in different schools. (I was split between IR and oceanography so I applied both ways and reviewed the best offers).
Conversely, there is no shame in being undecided (in the US) and most colleges have designed their programs to provide broad introductions to multiple fields. Some of these programs are very good and if you are really undecided you should seek them out.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page