Extras letters of rec....

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Extras letters of rec....
By Trojan1444 (Trojan1444) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

If a school only asks for a letter from a teacher and a counselor, is it ok to send an extra?

I was thinking about having my principal send in one...I know from previous experience that she would.

Would this help at all?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 10:02 am: Edit

Supplemental recs are fine. First, I think most apps ask for two teacher recs and one guidance counselor. I would not get any more teacher recs. My advice is to only send supplemental recs by people who know a certain aspect of yourself that a teacher does not. For instance, a coach or someone from a significant EC activity knows you in a different capacity than a teacher. Having extra teacher recs is kinda telling more of the same and has no extra punch. I would only have the principal write a rec if she can speak to something that is different than what your teacher or guidance counselor is speaking to. See if there are any others in your life who know you in some capacity that differs from the other rec writers you are using. Did you ever hold a job or do a summer program? There is one idea.

Good luck.
Susan

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 10:07 am: Edit

Read the instructions for your particular colleges carefully. Many of them specifically state the recs they want and some state that they will not accept any extra material/recs.

By Whzup44412 (Whzup44412) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 05:52 pm: Edit

Never send anymore than one additional rec. in, and only from someone who knows you very well and is going to offer valuable insight into your academic or extracurricular achievement. Colleges perceive too many recs. as a sign you aren't confident in you academic achievements. And never get a rec. from an alumni. Usually parent's always have a friend or a boss who wants to "get you in" to their former university. What those recs. usually boil down to are "how great a person you are". Top universities assume your a good person and get info on your academics through your teacher recs.

By Ama (Ama) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 06:24 pm: Edit

So it wouldn't be a good idea to get a rec.from an alumni/and teacher from the school-even if they were your AP teacher?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Ama...I think you misunderstood. If the teacher you are getting a rec from happens to also be an alum, that is fine! What the poster was saying was that in regard to additional recs (beyond teacher recs), to get one from a family friend, for example, who happens to be an alum, is not always a great thing to do. A rec should be from someone who knows you well. It should not be from someone doing you or your family a favor cause they are a "name" or an alum. Up to two supplemental recs are fine, but should only be done if those people can talk about you with specifics and offer something different than what the teacher or guidance rec letters will say. For example, my daughter is CONSIDERING possibly two supplemental recs....one might be from the person who is both her ski racing coach and her tennis coach at her high school. He has worked with her every day all four years and in two seasons. Another possibility is from an architect she interned/worked for this summer (she is going into architecture). Both these people can shed light on another side of her besides the academic realm. That is what I meant. Both know her well, particularly the first person I mentioned.

Susan

By Ama (Ama) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 07:00 pm: Edit

Oh thank you very very much.>>>>>

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page