Should I take this class?!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Should I take this class?!!
By Myway (Myway) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 10:04 pm: Edit

There's this online class I can take that's would enable me to take 4 AP tests (Human Geography, both Econs, and Comparative Gov).

As of now, here's my current senior schedule:

-AP Calc AB
-AP Lit & Comp
-AP US Gov
-AP Span
-Studio Art (not an AP class, special vocational class that's required)
-Physics I Honors (extremely difficult, only 3 kids out of 18 get A's, most of which are the engineering type)
-Guidance period (place to do HW)

I have all that in addition to 3 clubs, studying for SATs, finishing college apps, and applying for some scholarships.

With that schedule I would be taking 4 APs this year (I took 2 last year and got 3's on both). I'd really like 5's on these.

So my question is, should I take this class to show colleges (Case Western specifically) that I maxed out? or should I just concentrate on the full plate I already have.

I've always been a firm believer in "don't take on too many things; take on something challenging, but that you can still do well in."

(I'm in the running for valedictorian. Currently I'm #1, and the only thing I have to do is maintain straight A's and it's mine. Taking on too much would jepordize a lot. But if I stretch myself thin and do get A's on everything (I could but it's a BIG risk) I'd ensure my rank even more...)

Any advice is appreciated.

By Myway (Myway) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 07:14 am: Edit

bump, please.

By Serene (Serene) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 02:49 pm: Edit

Umm.... do you actually like human geography/econ/comparative gov?

By Myway (Myway) on Wednesday, August 27, 2003 - 09:10 pm: Edit

actually i'm pretty neutral on it. although i'm more of a science person, i don't hate social studies...

any comments on whether or not to take this class?

By Smiley (Smiley) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 01:07 am: Edit

Why in the world add this online class? Think about it...
You have a very demanding schedule.
Colleges couldn't care less about one more class
You prolly won't get AP credit for any of those classes.
I don't sense you have any great passion for these subjects.
Come beautiful May, you'll be accepted into college already.
Do you really want to spend 24 hours sitting through exams... not to mention countless hours studying?
Do you have no better use for $300?

It's your senior year!! Have some fun (in the few free seconds you'll have). Do you want to look back in 50 years to a year of pure work? If you do, take it...

By Myway (Myway) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 09:04 pm: Edit

thanks, smiley. i guess i just needed some validation as to why i shouldn't take the class.

By Sadeyedlady (Sadeyedlady) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 09:18 pm: Edit

what colleges are you applying to?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page