Cal Poly Woes - Please Help Me!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Cal Poly Woes - Please Help Me!
By Trizum (Trizum) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 05:19 pm: Edit

I am going through an extremely tought time right now. Last year I toured a ton of colleges in California, mostly UCs and Cal Poly.

I felt Cal Poly made a good fit and decided to make an early decision there. I was accepted and happily enrolled there for school this fall.

Now I am extremely worried I made the right decision, I am starting in Mechanical Engineering, and I feel I might like this field, but if I really don't know what's out there, and by going to Cal Poly I am taking classes related to this major right away... I feel like I am locking myself into something I won't like.

Also... I have the same feeling about the school itself, people say it's not prestigious at all and not well known, and I know I could have gotten into a much more highly rated college... I didn't explore the East Coast at all, and I'm scared I'm limiting myself and my potential by going here.

Am I going to be able to transfer to a different school, even in a different major?

Please give me any advice, I am really worried that I didn't make the right decision, please help me!

By Zero (Zero) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

My advice would be to relax, it's not the end of the world if you end up not liking the major and transferring ASAP. From what I understand Cal Poly has a great reputation in engineering, so I wouldn't worry about that - plus, unless you're talking about Harvard a lot of businesses really don't care where you went to school. Think of the positives, you could end up loving the school on all levels as well as loving mechanical engineering (although I wonder why you applied to Cal Poly if you weren't sure what you wanted to do). BTW, please do tell me how you like it after school starts, I'm very interested in the school as a business major.

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 06:54 pm: Edit

With any engineering program, you are going to be starting early in courses in your major and a lot of your course work throughout is going to be geared to engineering and not anything else. That is just a reality everywhere for engineering because the number of engineering-related classes required to get a degree are much more than any other major. I would stick it out for a while because you may find you really do like it.

As to Cal Poly, I know about a dozen Ph.D engineers, two of whom are on the hiring committee of nationwide engineering consulting firms, and another who went to Cal Poly. I have actually asked most of them, including the two that hire, what they consider to be the top schools from which they would hire. Cal Poly always makes the list.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page