Question about Counselor's recommendation.

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Question about Counselor's recommendation.
By Darling714 (Darling714) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:08 pm: Edit

My counselor has known me for a REALLY long time since I've been friends with her daughter since kindergarten, and she's also friends with my mom. Is this going to affect how the adcom views the recommendation - especially in a negative way? I know I can get great recommendations from my teachers, but I'm worried that they will think my counselor's writing good things about me because I've know her for so long. Any thoughts?

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:14 pm: Edit

I think it's good. That means your counselor knows you really well... Don't worry about it! ^_^

By Darling714 (Darling714) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 02:16 pm: Edit

OK, thanks Serene. =D

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Thursday, August 28, 2003 - 01:26 am: Edit

You should hear all the people who complain that they need a counselor recommendation, but don't know the person... and thus cannot possibly get a great rec from him or her.

If your counselor is halfway intelligent about it, the recommendation will be excellent - helping the admissions committee evaluate you as a student and as a human. If she is just writing about you personally, they will realize this - the language is clear either way.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page