JHU vs. Duke: Biomed Engineering

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: JHU vs. Duke: Biomed Engineering
By Crazyandy (Crazyandy) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 09:48 pm: Edit

Hi all,

I am looking for a reach school for biomedical engineering. Without going into my stats, these 2 are definately reaches for me. I understand that these two schools are ranked 1 and 2 respectively (or at least they were last year). I was wondering if you could only apply to one school, which would it be and why? Which school is easier to get into? (not sure if you apply directly to Biomed department at JHU or not). Give me your insights!

In case ur wondering the other schools I am considering, they include Pitt, Univ of Toledo (instate), Syracuse, Drexel, and Vanderbilt.

By Wobudong (Wobudong) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 10:39 pm: Edit

Duke is the tougher admit for engineers. SAT 1 average is over 1500 and SAT II's over 750. Unlike the College of Arts and Sciences, the folks who admit to the Engineering College rely heavily on the results of standardized tests. The campus at Duke is gorgeous and the opportunites outside of engineering are stronger. The biomed departments are probably about equal at the top of the heap, although Duke is spending a fortune on new facilities. Check out the Duke engineering website. You can follow the construction in real time.

By Esotericstorm (Esotericstorm) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 10:58 pm: Edit

Duke is definitely tougher to get into than JHU for biomed. One of my friends recently got accepted into biomed at JHU with a 13--. You also might want to check out the biomed program at Case Western. It was #4 in the country last year, and its really easy to get into.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page