What are my chances on those universities? Please tell me~

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: What are my chances on those universities? Please tell me~
By Darkmukluk (Darkmukluk) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 08:33 am: Edit

Tell me my chances

Reach
Harvard, JHU, Stanford, MIT, Washington University in St. Louis

Match
UC Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD

Safety
Rensselaer, USC

I am Korean and came to the States in the 2nd semester of freshman year. (01/2001)
Currently a rising senior in Santa Monica High School.
GPA: 4.00(UNWEIGHTED), 4.5333(WEIGHTED)
SAT: VERBAL 580, MATH 800
SATII: WRITING 550, 1C 800, 2C 800, BIOLOGY 800 CHEMISTRY 720 KOREAN 800
Planned to take Physics, SAT1(again), and Writing(again)
Have taken 4 AP classes: CALC AB ?5, CALC BC - 5, Stat - 5, Bio - 5.
I also took Psychology 1, English (Equivalent to regular English in high school), Japanese 1, and Biology 3(equivalent to Bio regular) classes at Santa Monica Community College
During the last summer, I took Physics (Physics 8, got an A) at SMC

My senior schedule
1. AP Economy
2. English P
3. AP CHEM
4. Marine Bio HP
5. Digital Design P
Fall: Japanese 2 at SMC
Spring: Multivariable calculus at SMC
Summer: Anatomy 1

However, I have not done that much extra curricular and community service (I think it is my drawback)
All I did was community service at Red Cross (4 hrs/week - about 200 hours so far), and at the library (for about 60 hours). I am also a member of Red Cross club and Asian Club at high school. For NHS, and CSF, I did some tutoring. (for about 30 hours)

EC, Awards/Honors:
KSEA Math Competition 2nd place
American Mathematics Contests school winner
American invitational mathematics examination school winner
National Honor Society
CSF

By South1985 (South1985) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 01:04 pm: Edit

I'd say you have a decent chance at all those schools. I wouldnt really calls Stanford a reach for you, you have a good chance to get in that school. Your stats are good, now its justs left to the admissions to see if they want you or not.

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

Sorry but a 580 on verbal and a 550 on writing? Despite your having come during the middle of freshman year, you may at least want to bring those up to the mid 600s for the schools you're applying to. How is Stanford not a reach, it might even be an over-reach. Any top school is a reach for everyone.

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 02:59 pm: Edit

no schools will understand that you have just came here they will over look your verbals. trust me on this. im asian and i know they will over look your lack of verbal skills.

By Y17k (Y17k) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 03:10 am: Edit

ouch... 580 on verbal ><

but since you are a mathematical genius, perhaps colleges will overlook that fact (esp. MIT)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page