Are these trite essay topics?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Are these trite essay topics?
By Mical (Mical) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 05:10 pm: Edit

So these are the essay topics I have done (heavily butchered for size):

MIT - essay B: I talk about how my father has taught me math for nearly my entire life. After I got into high school, he started encouraging me to study independently. Now I have realized there are many more topics in math that I don't know, and I wish to study some of them.

Caltech - essay 2a: I talk about how Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park (the book) motivated me to study math.

Both essays are true (in case anyone was wondering), my interest in math is a product of many different events.

So my question to you would be, are these topics good (I think the MIT one is a bit trite), or should I scrap them and try again? I can tell you that the quality of these essays aren't the best, but they're not bad, either.

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 05:14 pm: Edit

no. if you are you truthful you right a much better essay. dont try to please ad com. essays dont mean as much as you think. they mean a decent amount but having an average essay wont hurt you. besides i think if you are truthful and these things have alot of meaning to you, then it would be great essays.

By Quagmire (Quagmire) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 05:15 pm: Edit

If you have like a funny anecdote of your dad trying to teach you math or something then go for it. But if not, scrap it. That's just my opinion, I'm not official or anything though

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 05:47 pm: Edit

2a is great. I'm sure they'd love to hear an essay bout Ian Malcom!

By Mical (Mical) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 11:15 pm: Edit

Yeah, I thought 2a would be my most interesting one, but it's also my weakest essay. I don't have anything funny for B, but I can't really think of another topic so I guess I have to stick with it. At least it's hammering on the math/science angle, and I know MIT and Caltech want students who love math and science.

By Myway (Myway) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 11:33 pm: Edit

2a is great. But I suggest you take a diff route w/ B.

"Now I have realized there are many more topics in math that I don't know, and I wish to study some of them."

^That's kind of negative. Maybe you could talk about math (incorporating your dad), and how you wish to gain that sort of expertise for other subjects, then give some examples from your life that would prove that... making sure that the point conveyed in the essay is i'm great at math, but well-rounded bec. i have other interests and i have the initiative to learn...

Just a suggestion. Good luck on your essays

By Mical (Mical) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 11:48 pm: Edit

I don't really see how that's negative. I am trying to say that as you learn more, you find out about new fields you haven't learned yet. Basically, an ignorant person thinks he knows everything, but an enlightened person knows he still has much to learn. I guess I couldn't convey the real meaning in the short form. Here's the excerpt from my essay.

"However, the more I learned, the more I realized how little I actually knew. No matter how much I studied, there seemed to be an endless field of knowledge I have yet to learn."

Keep in mind this essay is by no means final. Also, I thought a lopsided math student is what MIT and Caltech wants.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 07:58 am: Edit

"However, the more I learned, the more I realized how little I actually knew. No matter how much I studied, there seemed to be an endless field of knowledge I have yet to learn."

I'm not sure how I feel about this conclusion...I mean, isn't it rather obvious? Anyone can pick up a college course catalogue and see that they have a lot more to learn...not to disparage your topic, but I just think there could be a more englightening or climatic conclusion.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page