Class Dilemma--Bio or Gov?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Class Dilemma--Bio or Gov?
By Alethio (Alethio) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 08:49 pm: Edit

I have to choose between Field Biology and AP Government my senior year because both are offered once at the same time. I want to major in biology and pursue it as a career; however, my guidance counselor (who's a moron I might add), kept suggesting that I take AP Government because, frankly, it's an AP class and a stronger class for college than field biology. She does have a point and now I can't decide. I'm planning to do EA Stanford and also am going to apply to UCB, UCLA, and UCSD. What do you guys think I should take?

By Smiley (Smiley) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 10:35 pm: Edit

Take the class in which you'll learn about a subject that interests you... It's your senior year... enjoy :-)

By Themoose07 (Themoose07) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 06:51 am: Edit

AP Gov = REALLY easy. (At least the exam itself is, of course in class your mileage may vary.)

Take it.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 11:00 am: Edit

How many other AP classes are you taking? What's your schedule like? Is this AP Government class just a semester long class called AP American Government, or is it a full-year course that also includes AP Comparative Government? Is Field Biology a year long class?

By Alethio (Alethio) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 01:59 pm: Edit

I took 2 AP classes last year (my junior year): Biology and USHistory (5, 4 respectively). This year I so far am taking AP English and AP Psychology, and maybe AP German (I stopped doing German this year at level 4 in order to pursue the sciences). I have 3 sciences this year, Field and Marine Biology, plus Physiology. Our School has a block schedule so we meet 90 minutes a day, 5 days a week so we get a year's worth of classes done in half a year. Both AP Government and Field biology would be a "Year long" course in a normal school schedule, but with the block system, they only last for half the year (since I get 2 semester's worth in one year).

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 02:49 pm: Edit

You have plenty of AP classes - I'd take the extra biology class if that was where my interests where.

By Alethio (Alethio) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 03:07 am: Edit

Well...I'd only have four. I have an opportunity to take 5, even six if I took the language. I was thinking of taking a biology course in high school along with AP gov, but I don't know hwo that would fare...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page