Connecticut college

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Connecticut college
By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 06:26 am: Edit

please post anything good/bad u have to say about connecticut college

By Myway (Myway) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 10:29 am: Edit

i know a girl who went to a performing arts school, with mediocre stats and got accepted and is attending this fall. of course, her hook was that she overcame being homeless.

other than that, i don't know too much about this college. but i'd assume it isn't a highly selective school and that getting in shouldn't be hard.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

A friend of dd goes there. Loves it. Very friendly atmosphere and interaction. Visited the campus once and found it pretty, rather small, and isolated. Actually, it is pretty selective at 35% and recruits the distinctly above average students.

By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:49 pm: Edit

anyone know anything elese?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 12:25 am: Edit

We visited Connecticut College as my daughter is applying there. It is fairly small, only about 1800 students. It is located on the coast of CT, in New London. The campus is very pretty. You really cannot walk from the school to any place else and there is not a lot of great stuff nearby. Much of the social life revolves around campus life. I must say when we were there, the kids were very friendly. Strangers would come up to us as we wandered around, asking if we needed help finding anything, and so forth. After freshman year, most students get singles, which seemed a bit unique for college. This is not that easy of a school to get into as it takes about a third of all applicants. There is no Greek life. My daughter met with the head of the department she is hoping to major in and he spoke with us for an hour and I got the impression that there is a lot of faculty-student contact as the department is small. The school values study abroad. It is not an overly diverse student body.

It is hard to tell someone else what is good or bad about a school, however. So much of picking a school is about whether or not that school meets YOUR criteria, which differs from person to person. Size? Location? Major? EC interests? type of student body? Social life?

My suggestion is to go visit. Make sure you talk to students when you visit. We talked to many and all were happy campers.

Susan

By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 03:52 pm: Edit

bump

By Boatboat (Boatboat) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 06:37 pm: Edit

i'm suppa interested in this school so please post more...thanks for ur comments

By Antithesis (Antithesis) on Tuesday, August 26, 2003 - 09:47 pm: Edit

I've read that although the academics are highly rated, the student body is (in general) apathetic and comprised mainly of wealthy conservatives who drive expensive cars. While political apathy is a problem for me, if it's not an issue I'd say it seems to be a good school.
However, emailing professors, browsing the website, and most importantly, visiting the campus will give you a much better idea of how "good" or "bad" the school is.
Sarah

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page