When should I take the SAT I?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: When should I take the SAT I?
By Wab (Wab) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 01:36 am: Edit

I'm about to go into junior year and I haven't taken the SAT I yet. My friends are taking it October. I want to have some room for retakes and I'm planning on applying to college the normal time. What's the max for number of times you can retake it before peeving the admissions person? And, when should I take my SAT Is? Thanks!

By Funkirabbi (Funkirabbi) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 03:53 am: Edit

You should take the SAT I anytime during your junior year, but only take it at max four times during your high school life. After that, it's too much.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 06:15 am: Edit

I'd even say max two times, just study a lot for your first time.

By Phantom (Phantom) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:24 am: Edit

I'm planning to take my first one in January and again in April if needed. I would say 3 times is the max before peeving the admissions person. If I must take it a third time because I did abnormally bad on the first two, I would do it in the october of senior year. Remember your SAT II's too; I think June is usually the best month for those.

By Wab (Wab) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:16 pm: Edit

Okay! Thanks!! Well, I already took one SAT II and I'm planning on taking the others at the end of Junior year, so I guess June sounds good.

By Ellemenope (Ellemenope) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 10:53 am: Edit

You'll be taking the PSAT in October. My D prepared for the PSAT by working in SAT workbooks and took the SAT for the first time the Saturday before the PSAT was given. Might as well get the most out of your prep time. She retook the SAT in June at the end of her junior year. It worked for her.

She did significantly better on the PSAT having prepared for it (at her school, students in grades 9 and 10 are advised to take the PSAT for the practice--she did 10% better in her junior year from her scores in grades 9 and 10. Some of that could come from increased maturity, of course.) A 10% jump in score can take you from Commended status and put you in Semi-finalist status. . .

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 11:42 am: Edit

Naw four times is too much. You look desperate after a while. 3 is the max.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:29 pm: Edit

Maximum 2 or Maximum 3?

Where do you people get that information from? If you speculate -which you are obviously doing-, please have the integrity to start your posts with:

1. In my opinion
2. I have heard that
3. I believe
4. In my infinite wisdom, I decree that

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 01:34 pm: Edit

In my infinite wisdom, I decree that (thanks Xiggi) 3 should be the absolute maximum. After that, it has been statistically proven that students tend to get diminished results. 2 would be ideal, and 1 is great, but I believe (thanks Xiggi) that 4 wouldn't improve your score anyways. If you got around the same score three times in a row, it probably won't miraculously increase the fourth time.

By Mekker3 (Mekker3) on Friday, August 22, 2003 - 02:27 pm: Edit

I say that if you know that your score will significantly increase (because of extra studying or unusual circumstances), take it again (even if it is a fourth time)... honestly, I've heard that the admission officers who make the decisions aren't even the ones who see how many times you've taken it... instead, it's those "lowly clerks" who fill out a card with your best scores to give to the "important" admissions officer... However, this is only hearsay...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page