To post essays or not?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: To post essays or not?
By Myway (Myway) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 09:45 pm: Edit

I really enjoy reading the essays posted, because it gives me some inspirations in writing my own. Plus, the feedback given to some of these is rather insightful.

I'd really like to post my own, but I can't help having some reservations of posting my essay because it's easy for someone to rip it off etc... So my q is, do you guys think posting and getting great feedback outweighs the drawbacks?

By Johnnyd (Johnnyd) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 10:34 pm: Edit

Personally, I'd never post an essay on this board, as there are probably many who aren't registered, or a few that ARE registered that may steal the essay or essays you post. If you're absolutely certain that you don't know anyone who could possibly give you a good critique of your essay, then you should probably E-MAIL your essay(s) to someone here. Never post. But that's my opinion.

By Jayv85 (Jayv85) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 10:53 pm: Edit

I wouldn't post mine, mostly because I don't want someone taking it. And I want an English teacher's view.

I already showed my friend the first paragraph of my essay. He's telling me it's good, but it's bad. Then he's talking about my second sentence in that paragraph and told me to write something after that stating the EXACT same thing I just did. I got into an arguement about that. I'm like, "they're not stupid. They'll know that's a repeat of what I just stated. Just because it's worded different doesn't mean it'll make my essay sound good."

It didn't make my paragraph sound good anyway. If I added what he said to it would have ruined the whole flow of words.

And that's my advice. Some people will tell you to add things, but if it messes up the flow of words don't even attempt it. Get a professional's opinion first. There's nothing worse then getting an essay, reading the first paragraph, and thinking it sucks because they just dragged it on like they didn't know where to stop or tried to force more words to meet the requirement.

By O71394658 (O71394658) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 11:54 pm: Edit

Why wouldn't you post it? Many people here have read hundreds of essays on this page alone, and have gotten quite good at it. *wink* Others here are either current or have been professional writers or journalists. I don't know why you have reservations. I'm never going to meet you in real life, nor do I have the faintest idea who you are. Most people that have essays to post do so once, and then we never hear from them again. You really have nothing to fear. No one's going to hate you because of it. In addition, no one's a perfect writer.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page