Cooper Union/Engineering- Important information

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Cooper Union/Engineering- Important information
By Makodan (Makodan) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:16 am: Edit

I have some important information about Cooper Union and its engineering program that I obtained today during the tour.
Once they get your application they send you 10-15 short answer questions to answer in about a paragraph.
75% of the admissions is based on grades and scores.
25% is based on essays, recs, and ecs.
The majority of people accepted have about a 1400 sat score +- 50 points with at least a 600 on the verbal section.
Your math sat 2 score should be 700 and above and your science sat 2 score should be around 680 and above.
They also accept the act which is usually 30 and above.
Your highschool grades should be over a 90 and they didnt say anything about the importance of your senior year schedule.
Any special achievements or ecs like research or special talent should be mentioned in the short answer questions and they can be used to push up low grades.
The total cost of living at Cooper Union is about $15,000 a year which includes room, food, student fees which goes to sponsor clubs and activities, etc.
After the first year students have to find their own housing unless they become a RA which is someone who is in charge of their floor.
You are able to take some classes at NYU but it isnt very common.
For food, there are plenty of stores around with food ranging from 24 hr dinners to mcdonalds. There is also a small cafeteria in the art building. You are able to use the library and food services of NYU.
Your schedule is given to you the first semester and after that you can choose the time and day that you take your classes.

Now to the campus and buildings themselves.
Cooper Union is located in a fairly nice part of Manhattan. There are plenty of stores and things to do around in the area.
The engineering building has some very nice facilities. They are getting brand new computers for all their facilities in the comming semester. In one of the mechanical engineering labs has a working ford motor engine and there is a very advanced robotics lab with everything from talking robots to robotic arms. The whole school is very technologically advanced.
The dorms are very nice. The lobby and floors are very clean and they have tight security. You have to get your finger scanned to get in! The floors themselves are in an apartment layout. There are about 5 apartments per floor which sleep 3-5 people. Each room comes with a stove, microwave, refrigerator, bunk beds, and sometimes single beds, desks, and a bathroom.

I thought it would be helpful to everyone else if I shared my new found knowledge of Cooper Union. Hope this was helpful.

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:31 am: Edit

That was great! Thanks a lot.

I am definitely applying to Cooper and the grades and scores bit is definitely reassuring. I think I'll make the cut.

Did they mention which of their engineering departments is the strongest or is the most popular? Did they mention anything about class sizes? How about AP credit?

By Makodan (Makodan) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:40 am: Edit

It seems the robotics department is preaty popular at least according to my tour guide, but all of the engineering programs are preaty much the same in terms of popularity. Class sizes are generally about 20-30 people except in some basic humanities courses with they put most of the engineering department in at one time. Besides that there arent many classes that have more than 30 people. As far as AP credit goes, I think you need a 4 or 5 for english, and history, and a 5 for math and science. Im not to sure on which they give credit for but the new catalog book is comming out very soon.

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:38 am: Edit

20-30 people? Seems kinda high. Is that for Freshman classes or the average?

By Makodan (Makodan) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:41 am: Edit

For some classes like humanities or introductory courses they put 30+ students into an auditorium like room. For regular classes they have 20 or less. For junior and senior projects you work in small groups on a year long or two year long project.

By Ken285 (Ken285) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:40 pm: Edit

For AP credits, MAKE SURE you talk to them ASAP, especially for humanities. they don't really like to give out credits. for AP english, if you get a 4 or a 5, they will interview you about what you have read, so don't sleep through class! lol.

in my opinion, the security at the dorms is WAAYYY to tight. too many rules. oh and there's dsl in the dorms.

and the sat's and stuff...i would say that's accurate. those are pretty much mine, lol

By Makodan (Makodan) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 02:10 pm: Edit

What do you mean by pretty much mine?
Those scores came right out of the admissions persons mouth. He said that a majority of the applicants that they accept have around a 1400 and 700s on their sat 2s.

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 03:47 pm: Edit

This is for the Engineering school:

(Fall 1997 Freshmen) High School
Average Ranges SAT I Ranges Verbal Math
95-100 56% 700-800 31% 78%
90-94.5 41% 600-690 53% 22%
85-89.5 3% 500-590 16% 0%
80-84.5 0% 400-490 12% 0%

SAT II Ranges
Math Physics Chemistry
700-800 66% 40% 59%
600-690 34% 55% 28%
500-590 0% 0% 0%

1997 Freshman Profile

In 1997, The Cooper Union received 2,173 freshman applications; 290 students were admitted (13%) and 207 of those students accepted our offer (71%). The School of Engineering received 616 applications; 198 students were admitted (32%) and 122 of those students accepted our offer (62%). The School of Art received 1,150 applications; 64 students were admitted (7%) and 60 of those students accepted our offer (7%). The School of Architecture received 407 applications; 28 students were admitted (7%) and 25 of those students accepted our offer (89%).

Geographically, 58% of all Cooper Union freshmen came from New York State. Thrity-eight percent of this year's freshmen were born outside the United States, representing 27 countries, including Bangladesh, Canada, China, Cuba, Egypt, El Salvador, Guatemala, India, Israel, Jamaica, Korea, Latvia, Poland, Romania, Russia, Taiwan and Trinidad.

Twenty-five percent of all Cooper Union freshmen are Asian; 15% are African American, Caribbean or Latino; 6% are international or exchange students, and 54% are Caucasian non-Latino. Thirty-nine percent of all Cooper Union freshmen are women.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 04:06 pm: Edit

Makodan,

That's great stuff. You should post it on the individual schools site, where it would be a more permanent record.

Some of us think that CU's location is about the grooviest anywhere. If the students ever emerge from the books they have to love the vibrant city atmosphere.

Let us hope that the link-up between CU and NYU becomes stronger than just a few courses. NYU could use CU technical/engineering expertise, and it can offer CU a wealth of arts and sciences courses.

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 04:16 pm: Edit

^Right.

Oh and Madokan, what impression did you get of the Humanities department? Is it seriously weak? Is there a limit on the number of course students can take at NYU

By Dance4life (Dance4life) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 04:37 pm: Edit

Hey
I was there at the tour for engineering also...

from what I get out of it you really can't take NYU courses. I mean, the tour guide said you basically have access to their library and food services..but that's kinda it.
as for humanities they all take place in the same building as engineering, so there really isn't a separate department. Just a few classes you are required to take. So basically I guess it's weak.

By Ken285 (Ken285) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 06:44 pm: Edit

sorry...i meant that those scores were almost identical to mine. (i got accepted)

By Makodan (Makodan) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:52 pm: Edit

Congrats on getting accepted. From what they told me the humanities department isnt that strong. You are only required to take a few courses in that area and besides that there arent many opportunities to take additional ones. I heard somewhere that if you really want to take courses in humanities they will try to accomidate you but i dont know if its true.

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Do they accept transfer credit from other Universities?

I'll be taking Multivariate Calculus and Differential Equations next year under the CUNY curriculum and Linear Algebra at NYU, will they give me credit for that, or will I have to take a placement exam? Also, which subjects do they give AP credit for? The number on Collegeboard.com seems awfully low.

By Makodan (Makodan) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 08:12 pm: Edit

They do accept a very low number of AP scores. I am not sure on which ones they exactly take but by the end of this month they will release their new book which contains all the updated information about their school and admissions. As for transfer credits i think they accept them as long as they correspond to Cooper Union courses. People graduate early because they take courses during the summer, but this is very rare.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page