Breaking ED... what happens?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Breaking ED... what happens?
By Emyh (Emyh) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 08:39 pm: Edit

If you apply to two schools (for ex. Stanford & NYU) ED, and are accepeted at both, then obviously there's a problem. You must break your agreement. Now since it is a WRITTEN agreement, what can the colleges do to you besides alert all the colleges you're also applying to? Does it become a legal document? So does that mean the school can sue you or what?

Anyone know, or have experience? I'm just curious.

By Bitz (Bitz) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 09:46 pm: Edit

The ED agreement is a legal contract. I've never heard of it happening, but a college would be well within its authority to sue you for 4 years of tuition, perhaps even more.

By Unibrow (Unibrow) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

whoa, whoa, whoa! Seriously?! So basically...what you're saying is just apply to ONE school with ED? And if you're not accepted to it...then tough and wait to apply to all your other choices during RD? I was planning on applying for maybe 3 schools ED and I thought once you were accepted into your most favorable one, you just withdraw your app from the other schools.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:21 pm: Edit

They will probably try to find out where you are actually going, alert them of the problem, and both schools will rescind their admissions. Other schools might not touch you after that.

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:32 pm: Edit

Both schools will expel/reject you.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

Students regularly apply ED to more than one school, get caught, and get denied by both and, if accepted, have the acceptance rescinded.

Aside from the pragmatic aspect, what kind of person do you want to be?

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Both schools could reject you for violating the ED policy.

By Emyh (Emyh) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:35 pm: Edit

Oh ok.. I'm just trying to find out for my friend.

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

Doctors hear the same thing when asked about venereal disease.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

If you read Michelle Hernandez's book, "A is For Admission", she goes over this very subject thoroughly. You are allowed to apply to only one college early decision. You and your school college counselor have to sign a statement on that application saying that you understand that you are allowed to apply to only one college early and that if you are accepted to that college, you must notify all of your other regular admission colleges and withdraw those applications. So, to begin with, it is doubtful that your school counselor would even permit you to apply to more than one college early, and you are breaking your word if somehow you manage to do it. The colleges who participate in Early decision send their acceptance list with social security numbers to each other--in other words there is a master Early Decision List. If you show up more than once on that list, all acceptances are withdrawn and you lose your chances at any of those colleges that catch you. And with computers these days,cross checking that list is a snap. There are a few schools that do not participate in this agreement that would not black list you for playing games with early decision, but they are not the top schools. Also there is a chance you won't get caught, but do you really want to play this game? It is unethical to do so especially since the rules are so clearly specified on the application and you sign off on it. When you start filling out your application, you will see what I mean--there is a section that explains all of this that requires signatures in order to activate your application early decision. There is an out from early decision acceptance if your financial aid package is inadequate, but it is not a matter of simply saying you did not get enough. You can protest and contest the package and go through a procedure that MIGHT release you from the commitment but you cannot count on that.

By Emyh (Emyh) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

Lol, Thedad, I can't even afford to apply ED anywhere. Plus, personally it is ethics and that is something I do not take lightly. My friend has been thinking of doing that, and I have been trying to talk her out of that.

I guess I feel the need to defend myself because I consider myself to be an honest person.

And thanks for the info Jamimom

By Thedad (Thedad) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 01:19 am: Edit

Okay. Good luck talking some sense into your friend.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page