Brown application

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Brown application
By Emma (Emma) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 06:35 pm: Edit

I still haven’t got my application from Brown and I know (well I think at least) that no one else has this year either… But I was wondering if anyone knew much about it from the past? Is it just one personal essay? Are there any other small but important questions? Or things to think about?

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:56 pm: Edit

I visited Brown last month, and at the information session they said the only important essay is "Why, in particlar, do you want to attend Brown?" They didn't mention any other essays, but I'm sure there are some supplemental questions to allow the adcoms to get a real feel of your individual writing style. I really wish they would send the application, I really want to go to Brown!

By Mazzo (Mazzo) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:02 pm: Edit

also i believe they want you to "tell them more about yourself"

By Rashmi (Rashmi) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:54 pm: Edit

Even I have'nt got Brown's app..but a friend of mine who like barely lives 3 miles away has.

By Argus (Argus) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 12:57 pm: Edit

The Admission Office sent out a bulk shipment of applications (over 35,000) two weeks ago. Consequently it will take a while for the applications to reach the students who are waiting for them. Bulk shipments, for those of you who are not familiar, move slowly.

Visitors to the Admission Office have been able to pick up copies of the application for the last two weeks. This may explain why some people in distant locales now have apps while others don't.

For those of you with a hankering to start your essays, there is one application essay and one long response question. The essay topic is open-ended: "...tell us something more about yourself that would help us toward a sese of who you are, how you think, and what issues and ideas interest you most." The long response question is: "Tell us about the academic areas which interest you most and your reasons for applying to Brown."

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 02:40 pm: Edit

how long is the long response question? how many hand written pages?

By Ctrain890 (Ctrain890) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 03:17 pm: Edit

Is the open-ended essay just their clever way of presenting the usual "write about anything" essay, or do they actually want you to write an essay that addresses each part of that question?

Man, I HATE not being able to recycle essays...

By Ctrain890 (Ctrain890) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 01:40 pm: Edit

bump

By Emma (Emma) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 05:45 pm: Edit

thanks argus for the questions, a big help!

The academic interests and why Brown response will be easy for me, but i'm still pondering over the essay... i'm really stuck on what to write about... any ideas??

By Argus (Argus) on Saturday, August 23, 2003 - 09:23 pm: Edit

College essays can be so boring so often. A good essay is fun to read. Either that or it's thought-provoking. The best essays are both. If you write something that your teachers enjoy reading, you're probably doing a good job.

By Emma (Emma) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 11:49 am: Edit

How long is the long response question?

By Sw4y (Sw4y) on Sunday, August 24, 2003 - 02:58 pm: Edit

1 page written

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page