Question "where else are you applying" on the applications

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Question "where else are you applying" on the applications
By Kewkiekid (Kewkiekid) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:39 pm: Edit

on applications, where they ask where else you're applying...

(a) do you have to answer this

(b) how does it affect admission?

By Drusba (Drusba) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:02 am: Edit

All questions on the application should be answered honestly. I do not know whether the answer will be used against you, but the failure to answer, when schools know full well that students apply to multiple schools, is likely to be taken as an attempt to conceal something.

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:05 am: Edit

Also, in the rare cases, if you're really an outstanding student and they want you really badly, and they know you have other schools to choose from that you are applying to, this could actually help you increase your financial aid package or cause the school to compete more fiercely for you.

By Haon (Haon) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 12:53 am: Edit

I don't know...i think this is an unfair question and shouldn't be answered.

Usually the top schools do NOT ask this--it's only the 2nd tier schools that do...
and if you apply to... say...UMd and put that you're also applying to Princeton, UMd is more likely to reject you because they realize that you are out of their range and are just using them for a safety.

By Yz16 (Yz16) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 06:01 am: Edit

One big problem with this IMO is that it's just further encouraging students to choose their unis based on prestige : (.

What if, for example, I was qualifed for princeton (please note 'what if' : ) ) but I would be equally happy with xxx 2nd tier uni because it has nice campus/i want to be close to my grandad so i can take care of him? With this question there's a good chance that I would face an unfounded rejection from a school i'd have been very happy to attend.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page