SAT- ACT Dilemma! Please help me...

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: SAT- ACT Dilemma! Please help me...
By Cooljay687 (Cooljay687) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

I wish to apply to NYU and other top elite colleges (UPENN and other Ivies.) I am going to be a senior enxt term, so time is definitely running out. My average in high school is 95.5 so I do not feel there is a problem there, but my standardilized test scores are lacking.

SAT: 570V / 650M : 1220

SAT II:
Chemistry - 560 (Score choice)
Math IIC - 620 (Score choice)
Writing - 610
US History - 610
Literature - 510

ACT:
Reading - 30
English - 30
Math - 35
Science - 22
Composite: 29

I am probably doing ED to an elite college but because time is running out, does it make sense to concentrate more on the ACT and try to improve that score? My ACT score is already must higher than my SAT and SAT IIs. (supposedly my ACT of 29 is comparable to a 1300 SAT).

I live in New York, where the popularity lies in the SAT & SAT IIs for some reason. Would it be disadvantageous to me if I submit ONLY my ACT to colleges? I feel colleges seeing my SAT & SAT IIs can hurt my application. For example, NYU does not require but recommends seeing 3 SAT IIs. If I show them none, am I potentially hurting myself?

Anyone know why the SAT & SAT IIs are so popular in the Northeast? Is the ACT looked as the "easier" test because I do seem to perform better on it.

For example, U-Penn states that either:
a. SAT I & 3 SAT IIs submitted
b. ACT

The ACT could be used in lieu of both the SAT I & 3 SAT IIs, but they state that they prefer the SAT. Why do they prefer the SAT??

As you can see, I'm totally confused about what to do! The ACT seems totally unpopular in the Northeast and I don't know if it is disadvantageous to show only this score to Northeastern colleges? It may be harder for them to compare me with other students in my area- NY?

Also, it does not help that I'm Asian-American!

Thanks!

By Yeah10 (Yeah10) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 01:46 am: Edit

haha

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page