Combined SAT

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Combined SAT
By Jrc007 (Jrc007) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Does the actual combined SAT score make any difference in adcoms' eyes (for the most part), or is it only the scores received on each part?

For example, would a score like 1400 be seen as 1400, or as, perhaps, an 800 in math and a 600 in verbal if that were the case?

By Winterfresh (Winterfresh) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 08:01 pm: Edit

I've heard colleges prefer to see a balance so in your case that would be 700v 700m. But to me, a 1400 is outstanding and should be regarded as such, no matter how balanced or unbalanced the scores are.

Sorry if this doesn't help!

By Jrc007 (Jrc007) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

I really got a 1490 (690 M/800 V).

Will schools look at it like 1490 or like "Wow, he got a perfect score in verbal, but look at that math score! It's 110 points lower!"?

Also, would any of you say that math is more important than verbal in the eyes of adcoms at non tech schools (Ivies, Stanford, Northwestern, etc.?) Will the 690 M kill my chances at HYP or Penn/Cornell/Northwestern?

One final thing: Will that 110 point differential make an ENORMOUS difference, as in being a major factor in getting me rejected?

By Antithesis (Antithesis) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:50 pm: Edit

I certainly hope not, as I have a similar differential in my scores!
Sarah

By Jrc007 (Jrc007) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

Antithesis or anybody else: Do you know if my score will hinder me from getting into, say, Yale or Princeton?

By Marthpodi (Marthpodi) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:23 am: Edit

Probably not Jrc

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 01:39 am: Edit

Take the test again and concentrate on math. Your 800 is grandfathered and you should have a great chance to get a better math score, especially if you prepare for it.

By Jrc007 (Jrc007) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 01:46 am: Edit

Even though I've already taken it twice?

First time: 690 M/770 V

Second time: 670 M/800 V

By Smiley (Smiley) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:01 am: Edit

Same thing here... 800 V, 680 M (first and only time)

Based on my feeling at the time and the student answer service thing, I'm pretty sure I screwed up numbering of the last questions in one math section (in skipping, erasing, fixing, etc). I feel pretty confident that I could raise math a lot if I retook it, but I have better things to do with my time. :-) I'm done with the SAT.

By Thecurious1 (Thecurious1) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 08:44 am: Edit

At first when they do the cutoff's they don't look at them seperately. At least that's what I've come to figure. So at that point they'll look at your combined score, that's all. Which happens to be very good in your case. Then after that cutoff process they'll consider every individual factor of your application. But if you show in other ways that you're not so bad at math (i.e. math club participation, high school transcript, any AP's, etc.) then they won't focus much on your SAT math. They'll be understanding enough.

By Jrc007 (Jrc007) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 10:22 am: Edit

How would this be:

I got a 97 in AP Calc AB (but I only got a 3 on the exam because my teacher, in his first year of teaching of teaching the class, failed to cover some very important points that were very prevalent on the exam.) So, in essence, I was excellent at what we covered in class, but some of the concepts on the exam I had never seen before.

Also, I plan on taking the Math Ic SAT II. Since this is sort of analogous to the SAT I Math, would getting a good score on this maybe offset the 690 a little bit?

I plan on getting a rec from my calc teacher that says how good at math I am in "real life."

Finally, is a 690 really that bad? I mean, as far as Yale is concerned, the 25/75 math range begins at 680, so technically I'm in the middle 50%. As long as the math score doesn't hamper me completely, I hope they'll pay attention to other, stronger parts of my application (like my verbal score, lol. Does the verbal score even matter as much as the math score with it being so culturally unfair and all? I mean international students and foreign students in the country get like 800 math and 5** or 6** verbal sometimes and it doesn't seem to hinder them too much as far as admissions go.)

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:49 am: Edit

690 isn't all that bad. What did you get on the Math IIC? HYP consider the IIC, not the IC.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 12:26 pm: Edit

Thecurious1~

How did you "come to figure that" the first cut uses "combined scores"?

EVERY school I've talked to and EVERY report on this site has confirmed that the schools take the highest of math and verbal.

I do not want to be rude but unless you have a definitive position backed by facts, you should refrain to post an "opinion" that translates into really bad advice. AFAIK, it has been well established that schools DO NOT AVERAGE your multiples scores and DO NOT use the best combined results but DO use the best verbal and the best math.

Jrc~
The decision to retake is entirely yours. Only you can judge if you have a chance to increase your math score. If you feel that you gave it your best shot and that 690 is your limit, you should not worry about it. You have currently a very good score. However, if you feel that you missed a higher score because of careless mistakes or because the time was running out, then it would be worth to take it again. You could approach the test in total relaxation knowing that you have a great score and that there is no downside in taking it again.

By Thecurious1 (Thecurious1) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 02:16 pm: Edit

Xiggi:

What the heck are you talking about? I never said schools didn't consider highest scores in each part. Combined = Highest Math + Highest Verbal. Stop arguing with others and telling them to not post for the things you make in your mind. I never said they averaged multiple test scores. Again, stop with the stuff you make up in your head. It's not that complicated to understand what I said.

I am not discouraging Jrc007 from retaking the SAT. I'm just answering his question about refraining on the MATH score. 10-30 points improvement is not going to put him in any special category when he already has almost 1500 SAT. He rather focus on SAT 2's and essays to better direct his time and efforts. That's the point!

By Mike (Mike) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 02:29 pm: Edit

The LACs I have talked with aren't the same. Some go with best V and best M and others so best date scores. Some schools tell you which they do on their website.

By Anotherdad (Anotherdad) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:37 pm: Edit

I have always heard that 800 verbal counts for more than 800 math because it is possible to cram your way up to high math levels. You have a great score. Now build on it and get a SAT II math score that is higher than 690. That is worth studying hard.
Also, you are in the league where your whole portfolio counts -- lots of 1600's are rejected from Ivies so don't concentrate further on the SAT I's. Also, competition is now insane -- be sure to find 3 real safeties.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:56 pm: Edit

Thecurious1~

You are correct. I interpreted your definition of combined score as a combined score from one sitting. My mistake.

By Jrc007 (Jrc007) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:09 pm: Edit

Clickspring: Are you sure that HYP only takes the IIc and not the Ic?

By Seventoedsloth (Seventoedsloth) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 07:30 pm: Edit

I think that depending on what major you are trying to pursue your scores may be viewed differently. If you were trying to get into MIT with a Math score like that then they might look at you funny. If you were trying to get into some kind of liberal arts school I think it would be to your advantage to have a high verbal score. I am in the same predicament except backwards. 780M 640V

By Crazycow_4 (Crazycow_4) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 11:37 pm: Edit

do schools think that it looks better if your scores are closer together or does it not make a difference? i got the same score on both math and verbal, but i am considering retaking the sat I's. if there happens to be a huge jump between my new scores...would it have been better just to keep the original ones? (kinda worded weird. sorry)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page