Did I kill my chances by dropping a course?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Did I kill my chances by dropping a course?
By Sandy (Sandy) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 05:20 pm: Edit

Here is my sad story. In my junior year, I took two CC classes while taking high school classes. One of those classes was an art class which my counselor signed me up for. I am not even a bit artistic, but I went ahead and took the class. After a while, I realized that the class wasn't for me. It took 3-5 hours of drawing every night and the results were not great. I dropped, but it is going to show (WITHDRAW) on my CC transcript as well as my high school transcript. Are my chances of admission killed because of one art class? Am I just making a big deal out of nothing?
Please help.
Thanks.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 05:37 pm: Edit

Are you sure it will show on your HS transcript? I took four CC classes last year and they did not show on my HS transcript. I had to obtain a separate transcript.

I doubt that a school like Rice would pay much attention to a dropped art class at a CC when evaluating your application. You could have withdrawn for many reasons starting with having registered for the WRONG class or having a scheduling conflict. I had to drop 2 classes this year because I could physically not make it from one to the other on time. Colleges know that scheduling conflicts happen all the time, especially in your last 2 years of HS.

Since it is not a critical core class, I would not worry and I would NOT attract undue attention to it neither (by writing about it).

If you are still worried, I believe that the best thing would be to contact an counselor at the school and ask him about it. I am sure they've dealt with similar issues in the past.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page