Bad AP Scores

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Bad AP Scores
By Misa3 (Misa3) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 09:30 pm: Edit

Will bad AP scores hurt my chances in getting into a good engineering school? My scores are:

4-US history
3-Physics B
2-English Lang
2-Comp Sci AB

I plan on applying to top tier engineering schools..and im a little worried about my scores affecting my admission..

By Brown_Man (Brown_Man) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:41 am: Edit

not really. you dont have to take aps in the first place. they would probably commend you for challenging yourself, albeit you got a two on english and comp sci B.

By Misa3 (Misa3) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:55 am: Edit

bump

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:06 pm: Edit

Um, just don't write the 2's on your application?

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Yeah, just write down the passing scores on your app.

By Asknot11 (Asknot11) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 01:23 pm: Edit

but when you write them down, you have to send in your AP grade report. Unfortunately, these scores will greatly hurt your chances at schools like MIT etc. If you applying to other top notch engineering programs like UIUC or Purdue...they shouldn't matter all that much.

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 01:24 pm: Edit

Asknot11 you can prevent certain scores from being sent on the grade report to one college for a small fee.

By Misa3 (Misa3) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

well... im applying to Columbia SEAS, Cornell, CMU, RPI, WPI, and RIT.

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 05:21 am: Edit

my understanding is that unlike the SATs, you dont have to send an official report of your AP scores to the colleges you are applying to. they basically trust whatever you wrote down on your app. they ask for the AP transcript when you have been accepted, because they need it for transfer credit purpose. i must reiterate though... dont lie on your app, the schools WILL KNOW.

and im pretty sure this is how things work, because i didnt send in any official ap scores with any of my apps, and i still got into all the schools.

By Massdad (Massdad) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Don't forget your high school transcript may have the AP scores on it. Might be a good time to have a chat with your advisor regarding how to handle it.

Frankly, I don't think it matters. Top scores show you can do the work, and are a plus. Mediocre scores will be a comment on your school as much as you, unless everyone else is getting 5s. Where do you score in relation to your classmates? Your school will have the info.

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:08 pm: Edit

AP scores are also supposed to correlate with performance in college (5 = A, 4 = B, etc)... but for you to be asking that question now, you took those tests as a junior, at the latest. I'm also guessing that some might have been taken as a sophomore... so think about it. Those scores reflect how a 16-year-old would have handled college material. How good do you expect that to be, especially something like physics?

It also sounds like your school might be one of those that has an AP for almost every subject - which does not necessarily mean that you are being taught that subject at the collegiate level. Many schools do this to help their students get into college or even for high school rankings... nonetheless, a h.s. sophomore level class really cannot (and should not) be taught at the AP level, as it cannot correlate with a university class. Colleges recognize this, and probably won't penalize you for it.

If you are really concerned, attach a note with the application, stating the reasons why you believe the scores are low (or lower than they should be). So, if your math background were minimal (i.e. no calc), and AP physics were the first physics class you took, it would be expected that your score would not be stellar.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Who will know your bad AP scores if you don't mention them at all?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page