Band/Orch as EC

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Band/Orch as EC
By Thenarrator (Thenarrator) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 08:42 pm: Edit

For the large amount of people here that listed band/orch as an extracurricular activity, is it offered afterschool at the school you go to? or is it considered an EC during the school day as well, being as it is extra to the academic curriculum?

By Atpchik (Atpchik) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 09:38 pm: Edit

At my school Band is offered as a class. It would be only E.C. if you did stuff like Marching Band which practices after school

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 11:03 pm: Edit

I would suppose all Band and Orchestra would be considered an EC. Here, the fall (marching) schedule for band includes 80 hours before school starts in August, 5 hrs/wk at night plus 6 hrs. average for games (usually 12-14 weeks), 4-5 Saturday contests at 12+ hrs. That's about 280 hours after school for fall.

Spring is easier - about 220 hours after school. All of this not including individual lessons, solo contests, region/area try-outs or jazz band. And yes, this is an award-winning group, so it's worth all the effort. Commitment to an EC with roughly 500 hrs/yr. also makes it hard to get in many work hours, which my son duly noted in various applications.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 11:32 pm: Edit

Yes, it is a little bit tricky with band/orchestra. Here, Band (we do not have orchestra) and jazz band are during the school day as classes. However, my daughter has just been compiling her "resume" or list of activities and achievements and I think all of her music activities really do belong on this list. For one thing, even though band and jazz band classes are part of the school day, actually Wind Ensemble (a select group) meets after school. Also she takes piano and clarinet lessons privately (which relate as she plays these instruments in band or jazz band). Also things like districts and All States involve auditions and performances and so forth that are all extra curricular in nature. So, I think her music activities belong on an activity listing, as well as honors she has achieved such as things like making All States. All of her music stuff kinda straddles in school time and also out of school time. Not sure that helps you but that is how we are dealing with it....on her activities list.
Susan

By Jayv85 (Jayv85) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Actually, if you're in band in my school it's both. You do the marching season during fall and go into concert season during the winter and spring. You also do some parades in the spring and band trips count too. There's lots of after school things, football games to perform at, band camp, Thursday night practices, and even vacation cut short because of a trip. But during concert season you're taught in the classroom and not after school at all.

By Encomium (Encomium) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 11:52 pm: Edit

I dropped band because of marching. {Shudders at thought of a uniform}.

By Sac (Sac) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

We have the same question. My son has four years of jazz band, which is a class. But there are rehearsals for performances in fall and spring,and a requirement to do tech work at the performances of at least one other school performing group, occasional performances outside of school at a festival or street fair. Then, five of them in the school jazz band formed their own group and practice an hour a week during lunch at school, as well as outside of school when they have a gig. Plus lessons and practice on his instrument. It all seems to go together under music somehow. My thinking right now is to list it as an extracurricular. Any other thoughts on how to do it?

By Pookdogg (Pookdogg) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:25 am: Edit

My understanding is this: if you get a grade on it, then it's not EC. I'm in most of the music ensembles at my school (orchestra, chamber choir, chorus, jazz band, etc), but none of them are ECs since I get a grade on them. Even pass/fail courses cannot be listed as ECs. Even if you practice outside of school, it is not an EC.

Sac, I think your S should list jazz band as a class, not an EC, but his own group should be listed as an EC.

By Jayv85 (Jayv85) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:00 pm: Edit

I see marching band as EC because you spend so much time with it on your own free time. No one's forcing you to go, but you still do. You spend more time after school, at games, marching, at practices that aren't during school hours then you do actually spending time in the classroom for band.

I guess it's more of your own insight. I see anything that takes hours out of your own time as EC.

By Momof2 (Momof2) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 02:48 pm: Edit

I'm with Jayv. I guess it depends on the amount of after school time it consumes. The 67 or so hours of classroom instruction each semester is nothing compared to the 280 hours spent thte rest of the week. Besides, if you didn't list it, then how would you account for all the free time you would then supposedly have?

Anyway, my S listed it as his prime EC and was never questioned by any college reps. Just what worked for us.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page