Too Many Colleges - Need Help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Too Many Colleges - Need Help
By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 01:16 pm: Edit

Well, I have done a lot of research and still cant seem to narrow my list down. I need some help with cutting a few schools and I plan to major in engineering (probably industrial and operations research type). If you think this list is OK as it is, also tell me.

1.Stanford (R) - EA
2.Princeton (R)
3.Harvard (R)
4.Columbia (R)
5.MIT (R)
6.Penn M&T (R)
7.Northwestern (M)
8.Cornell (M)
9.Duke (M)
10.Johns Hopkins (M)
11.Carnegie Mellon (M)
12.UC (B,LA,SD,D) (M/S)
13.UIUC (S)
14.U Mich (S)
15.Purdue (S)

Also, I am not sure if I should apply to Brown and Dartmouth (they dont have very good engineering programs) just because they are in the ivy league...and I will never have the chance to apply to them again. If you guys could comment on my list and tell me if it needs to be shortened down. I am not concerned about the work involved with these applications (I have already done a fair amount of the essays), I am just worried that my counselors and teachers (for recomendations) will be a little ticked. Thanks

By Mikus (Mikus) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 02:10 pm: Edit

To be honest, if you don't live in CA, I don't think you really need to apply to all 4 UC's. Depending on your stats, you should get into Purdue... so UIUC might be unnecessary.

The cutting order, IMO:

1.) UIUC
2.) UCD
3.) UCSD
4.) JHU [only if you're 100% sure you'd pick any of #7-9 over JHU]

But I mean, obviously this is all based on your preference. You can hear others' opinions, but ultimately, don't let mine, or anybody elses be the deciding factor on your decision.

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 02:51 pm: Edit

Well, I do live California. For the UC application, all I have to do is check a box if I want to apply to the school (and pay 30 dollars). SO there really is not point in cutting the UC's. I am pretty sure I will get into Purdue (I dont feel like giving my Stats - but I would say they are pretty competitive for most of the schools). For UIUC and U Mich, they really are my only safeties other than UCs and Purdue (so I think I should keep them). But I am not sure about JHU, because I didnt really like the campus when I visited but I am a little interested in bioengineering...and they have the #1 program in the country. What do you guys think of Brown and Dartmouth (would it be wrong only to apply because of their name even though they have a almost nonexisitng engineering department) - I probably would do economics or something similar in place of IEOR anyways...Thanks

By Serene (Serene) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 03:09 pm: Edit

Harvard isn't the best school for engineering. I think?

By Good_Gal (Good_Gal) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 03:13 pm: Edit

what are your stats?
choose 2 ivies if your score is below 1400 .
if above, choose 4.
then choose from the rest.
don't apply to more than 10.
i applied to 17 - can't spend enough time on each essay to make each one the best possible.
sue

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Well, I have looked over all of the applications and essay questions. I will have to write 6 different personal statements and 10 (250 words) short answer questions...and this is without using the common application for any of the schools. I did score above 1400 and I am almost 100% sure that I will apply to 10+ colleges. If there are any schools I would cut down it would be JHU, Duke, Carnegie Mellon, and maybe some of the ivies which are not too hot in engineering (Harvard, Yale, Brown, and Dartmouth).

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 05:00 pm: Edit

bump, please give some info/help

By Fonzie (Fonzie) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 05:24 pm: Edit

to the person who said to cut UIUC

you are sadly mistaken, U of Illinois has one of the finest enginnering depts in the midwest/country. They are comparable with MIT in some areas of that major.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

Yeah, U of I has a great engineering school. It doesn't get too much better than UIUC.

What are your stats?

By Mikus (Mikus) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 06:00 pm: Edit

My aforementioned advice was based on his list in order of preference. Ultimately, that's what counts. Whether you want to go there or not.

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 06:14 pm: Edit

I put the list primarily in order of a combination of selectivity and my personal preference. My stats are pretty good (I donít really want to say all of the them) and I would say that I at least would have a chance at all the schools listed (for the first 5-6, it really is all chance in my opinion). I am aware the UIUC, U Mich, and Purdue all have very, very strong engineering programs, but I am worried I will graduate too focused in engineering and miss out on a strong liberal education (one of my large priorities in selecting colleges to apply to). This is why I am leaning a little more towards schools like Columbia, Princeton, Duke, Penn...that have GOOD engineering programs and a GREAT liberal education. But my question is, should I completely sacrifice engineering (at schools like Brown and Dartmouth) for a strong liberal education over schools I am not too sure about (JHU, Carnegie Mellon). Thanks

By Sooky6 (Sooky6) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 07:37 pm: Edit

That's not really a question I think any of us can answer--how much do you want to study engineering? (At least somewhat, I assume). It seems strange to me to apply to schools that aren't strong in that area when there are so many that are AND offer great liberal arts (Michigan seems the best fit to me in this regard). I can see your reasoning with Columbia/Princeton/Duke/Penn, but when it comes to graduate school for engineering, you'll want to go to the best undergrad program you can, and it seems crazy to me to turn down UIUC for Brown if this is your plan. So bottom line...you don't have to sacrifice engineering for great liberal arts, because there are plenty of schools to choose from that offer both.

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 07:58 pm: Edit

Well, after my undergraduate engineering degree, I was planning to pusure a graduate degree in business or law. This is why I was hoping for a school that has both a strong engineering and liberal program. But what I am confused about is which way should I slant the importance (towards Engineering or towards Liberal Arts). I was just hoping for some input about the benefits about choosing either direction.

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:14 pm: Edit

any ideas?

By Fairyofwind (Fairyofwind) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:18 pm: Edit

I think if your goal is ultimately entrepreneurship or law school, go for Dartmouth and liberal arts.

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:26 pm: Edit

But I plan to specialize in technology companies, or at least that is my goal, so that is why I plan to pursue an undergraduate engineering degree so I will be familiar with the work of my clients and what not. I also think getting an enginineering degree teaches one how to think in different ways and is very important. But I am also considering Economics or somethin related as a major. Some schools have engineering degreees that relate to economics and some dont. What other schools/degrees has both economics, engineering, and finance all together?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page