CALTECH APP

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: CALTECH APP
By Aabbcc (Aabbcc) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 08:28 pm: Edit

You know the empty box on the Caltech box that asks you to put "something interesting"? Anyone have ideas?

Should it relate to something not already mentioned on the rest of the app to show your well-roundedness?

Or should the box be used to highlight some special aspect of you that has already been mentioned in app, but is a big deal, so you want to empahsize it again?

-Thanks

By Quarky (Quarky) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 09:09 pm: Edit

There is no formula to it. However, I personally wouldn't recommend using the box to show your well-roundedness. Although some admission materials may say that Caltech does have a general core and wants students to know a little bit of everything, you want to make sure that your application is focused on math/sci/engr.

I, personally, created a few 3D images of a phenomenon, which I further described in 27 pages of my research. Thus, I tied my "fill in the box" project to the research paper that Caltech wanted to see. Don't listen to everything I say, though, because I didn't get in, lol :) Got WL. By the way, I don't think anyone here knows this, but long after being denied admission, I got in touch with Caltech Admission ppl and learned that because last year Caltech's enrollment goal of 215 student was exceeded, this year's goal dropped to 185 students, which is exactly what they got (I guess there were about 170 students who enrolled, and then around 15 were taken off a wait list of fewer than 90 people). Best of luck to you (and me) this year!

By Aabbcc (Aabbcc) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

bump

By Oops (Oops) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 01:52 am: Edit

As long as what you put in that box is original and creative, the subject is not very important. People who have put vastly different things in that box have gotten in...the only common theme being that each of them is very creative.

By Amylase (Amylase) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 02:06 am: Edit

Quarky!!!

Where have you been in tha last several month???

But anyway, glad that you come back again.

Where did you ended up, after getting that rejection from caltech?

By Orinjus (Orinjus) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 03:58 am: Edit

Speaking of that box, does anyone know how they handle that in the online app? There doesn't seem to be a mail-in form for it, so do they just give you a text box, or is it not even there?

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page