Advantage of EA if SAT scores are below school's average?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Advantage of EA if SAT scores are below school's average?
By Dancer (Dancer) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 06:06 pm: Edit

My SAT score is at the rock bottom of the school's 50% middle range and about 100 points lower than the
"average." I'm taking it again in Oct., but I'm realistic about how much I can improve the score.

Anyway, my counselor says go for EA. But all I see happening is, at best, I'll be waitlisted and still won't get in - unless by May, all the accepted applicants decide to go elsewhere.

Advice, anyone?

By Ama (Ama) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 06:20 pm: Edit

Well where do you want to go and for what program?>>>>>

By Dancer (Dancer) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Oh, well I want to go to Carolina...major undecided but my strengths are dance, theater, creative writing. Just don't know if I would be able to 'make a living' in those areas :-).

By Plastikcup (Plastikcup) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 07:05 pm: Edit

Carolina as in UNC? What are your other options? Have you looked into Emerson in Boston for the strengths you mention? Also there is a strong dance+other interests at Hollins. Look into Donna Faye Burchfield who instructs there and is closely related to ADF Program which is at Duke every summer.

By Dancer (Dancer) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 09:40 pm: Edit

I'm limited to choices in the state. Besides, I'm not looking for a career in dance, but I'm interested in drama and creative writing - maybe even journalism - and Carolina has strong programs in those areas.

From what I've read about EA, the 'competition' is tougher. And if you're relatively weak, you risk getting a flat-out rejection early and there's no option to reapply. I'm thinking it's better to wait and apply in the general pool. Give myself more time to pull up SAT. Ideas?

By Stephenpmi (Stephenpmi) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 09:56 pm: Edit

Hmm...interesting dilemma. I think that this would actually be a great question to ask on a campus tour (or interview, if the option is there at UNC). If your ECs are good, who knows. You still have time to pull up your score for EA...October SAT test date.

With practice under "real" conditions, it is definitely possible to pull up your score 100 points.

Good luck!

By Massdad (Massdad) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 09:58 pm: Edit

The data from the book "the early admissions game" clearly showed that, in spite of what the admissions folks say, the EA/ED pool is weaker, yet gets admitted at a higher rate. The authors conclude that marginal cases like yours are the ones who benefit most from EA/ED.

So no, you don't hurt your chances, you enhance them. If they reject you from the EA pool, you'd be rejected from the regular pool anyway.

Go for it!

By Dancer (Dancer) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:30 pm: Edit

Thanks for the advice! My guidance counselor is pushing the EA but I've seen information that made me hesitant.

I'm a bit worried about EC's. 10 years of competitive dancing year round, 20 + hours a week, traveling on weekends and summer, didn't leave much room. For the last two years, I've performed self-choreographed solos which have won some awards. Also, did a couple years of cheerleading in HS, won some creative writing and theater awards. My community service consists of 4 years of volunteer work at one local charity, plus some 'odd' jobs which I'm not sure I should bother listing. I don't have anything in the 'leadership' category. Oh, I did win a national (though relatively small)pageant last year, first and only one I've ever entered, which I was quite proud of. Don't know what category to put that one under though. LOL

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page