Where could I get in ? ? ?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Where could I get in ? ? ?
By Dew912 (Dew912) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 02:29 am: Edit

Hello everyone....

What colleges would you recommend for me, based on the information I provide, or would it be better to go to a community college first, then transfering? I'm interested in business or poli science, and would like to eventually find myself in law school. Personally, I would describe myself as having a liberal personality, and a matching atmosphere is important to me, preferably with a lively party scene. As for my GPA, its about 3.1 unbalanced, 3.3ish balanced - I've taken a lot of honors classes and three APS, but only passed two of them. As for my SATs, I got around 1300, but I've only taken it once, and feel as though I can improve. I do not have many ECs, but I have been going to nightschool 2 out of the 3 years of high school so far to learn a second language. I live in Los Angeles, but I'm more then willing to move. I consider myself to be smart, but lazy - quite often, simply not motivated.

Thanks for all input!

Eric

By Carolyn (Carolyn) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 11:26 am: Edit

Eric,
You have a good chance at getting into a very good 4-year school. Unless money is a concern, I wouldn't start thinking community college for you.

Before anyone can make any suggestions, however, we need some more information from you:

- what size of school are you looking for?
- is there any part of the country you wouldn't want to go to school in?
- do you want to go to a less expensive public school or a private one?
- do you mind lots of large lectures or would you prefer most of your classes be smaller discussion type classes?
- do you want an urban, suburban, or rural school?
- do you have any particular interests you'd like to pursue in school - i.e., joining a frat or doing internships?
- is money an issue? will you need/qualify for financial
aid?

With those questions asked, however, here are some schools in California that would be matches/safeties for you based solely on what you've already said about yourself:
Private schools with good business and pre-law programs:
Santa Clara
University of San Diego
University of Redlands
University of the Pacific
Pepperdine
Whittier

Calif public schools with good business and pre-law programs:
San Diego State University
UC Berkeley (may be a reach)
UC Riverside
UC Santa Barbara
Cal State Fullerton
Cal State Long Beach
Cal State San Marcos

By Anathemacipher (Anathemacipher) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 11:40 am: Edit

I dont know wether he can get into the UCs. Isnt one of the reqs for getting into the UCs is being top 10% in hs? With a 3.0-3.4 gpa in cali.. I dont think he'll be in the top 10.

By Dew912 (Dew912) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 01:30 pm: Edit

I know a lot of people who got into UCs (maybe not Berkeley) with GPAs similar to my own.

By Dew912 (Dew912) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 01:35 pm: Edit

Carolyn,
-Any size of school is fine, maybe eliminating the biggest and the smallest schools, something middle of the road.
-I'd prefer to stay in CA, Chicago Area, or NY.
-As for public/private, at this point I'm not sure.
-A mix of large and small classes would be nice.
-urban/suburban.
-a school with at least a reasonable social scene is important to me - college should be enjoyable =)
-money will be figured out somehow hopefully, I don't want it to have to be a very big factor in the decision.

THANKS for all your help Carolyn - I really, really appreciate it!

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page