R E A P P L Y I N G

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: R E A P P L Y I N G
By Cuspidor (Cuspidor) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Well this is my situation, please bare with me and help me out if you can.

I applied last year to four US universities as an international, and unfortunately succeded in getting into none. The problem was the choice of these colleges. Motivated as I was last year, since I was getting the best results of the year group, and finally got the best IB Diploma results overall, with 43 points, had a very good range of extracurricular and volunteering activities and the confidence of my teachers that I would end up in an excellent institution, I decided to apply to Harvard, Yale, Princeton and MIT for a degree in Physics. I know I should have had applied to probably equally good, but less selective schools, but, because of previous experience of students from my school who had got into these universities with even lower IB scores, I thought I would get into at least one of them. So I gave it a shot, and my shot failed terribly. I achived only the waitlist at MIT.

Because of this, and the fact that the universities that accepted me in the UK offered no kind of financial aid, I decided to take a year out, and reapply to the for the following year.
This year I've tried to spend it constructively, I am currently working at my school giving revision classes, and independently in web site design, I travelled for a month through Eastern Europe, Russia and Scandinavia, and I'm researching other opportunities like spending some months teaching or doing volunteer work abroad, or maybe in an internship related to Physics.

That is basically my situation now. I'd like to begin with the university applications at once as well, but first I need to choose much better the colleges which I'll send my application too. Could you give me some advice on this? What colleges would you recommend me to apply to given that I want to study Physics and that I'm an international student requiring financial aid?

I'd definately like to apply to Princeton because it's my dream school, MIT and possibly another superselective college, besides less selective ones. What would my chances be like given that I am reapplying? How would a year out be seen by the colleges, and what kind of activities they would expect me to have done? What kind of approach to the fact that I am reapplying would you recommend me to take?

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 07:09 pm: Edit

There is no approach. It's not like I can say "colleges want to see activity A" and you can miraculously get it done in the remaining few months. Just be confident, give an excellent and honest presentation of yourself. Good luck. =)

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:48 am: Edit

You should apply to schools like the University of Illinois and the University of Michigan...great schools with large international populations that are far less selective than the lottery schools you mentioned.

By Cuspidor (Cuspidor) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 02:55 am: Edit

Thanks for your advise, i appreciate it.

By Thecurious1 (Thecurious1) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 08:46 am: Edit

As for your question whether taking a year off will effect your chances, check out this link http://www.college.harvard.edu/admissions/time_out.html. It'll answer your question.

Now, about qualifying the next time around, well there is no say. These colleges are unpredictable. I would say the one biggest reason for rejection the first time might the quality of your essays. If you had great grades and SAT, you most likely had lacked on the essay side. Write good essays, show them that you're progressing as a person and your quest for learning by doing the things you mentioned. Good luck.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:47 pm: Edit

Are you Erin?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 03:47 pm: Edit

I mean, the guy, who posted as "Erin" b4?

By Cuspidor (Cuspidor) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 05:30 pm: Edit

Who's the question for?
I was not Erin.

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 06:51 am: Edit

For you.

You're Peruvian, right?

By Cuspidor (Cuspidor) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Yes, I'm peruvian, I remember you, aren't you preuvian too?

By Gabypa (Gabypa) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

sipis. oye, sorry por lo que paso contigo y todo... este año ya me toca a mí tb aplicar, hehe. si me pasas tu e-mail quizá nos podamos comunicar más fácil y así.

By Jamimom (Jamimom) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 09:43 pm: Edit

It is even more difficult for an international student to get into an American university if he needs financial aid. There is ever so little money available for foreign students so most schools, if not all, just turn down students once the international aid fund runs out. If you read the book, "A is for Admissions" by Michelle Hernandez, she covers this situation very thoroughly. You need to look for a school that has alot of funds for international students, in addition to your dream schools. For instance, Wesleyan has about 25 special scholarships for Asian international students. You would not want to apply for Northwestern because they do not have money for international students. Does anyone know of a list for this person to examine that lists US colleges and availability of funds for foreign students? I know the information exists somewhere, but I don't know where and I don't remember whether M. Hernandez refers to it in her book. Good luck reapplying.

By 1214 (1214) on Wednesday, August 20, 2003 - 05:49 pm: Edit

Hindsight is always 20/20, but what kind of guidance at your school would allow u to apply ONLY to Harvard/Yale/Princeton/MIT ... that's crazy. I know a kid who had a perfect IB score and got refused from 3/4 above ... he now attends Brown PLME. In any case, barring the fact I only can do this given your information, I would suggest the following schools:

Reaches and schools your heart seem to be set on:

-MIT
-Princeton
-Harvard
-Yale
-Cooper Union (no fees since financial aid seems to be an issue)

Matches:

-Cornell
-University of Michigan
-University of Wisconsin - Madision
-University of Toronto

Safeties:

-University of Miami
-some other school

By Cuspidor (Cuspidor) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:07 pm: Edit

Thanks everyone for your help.. about the 'crazy' guidance counselor that let me apply to only those four schools, it's very difficult for schools outside the US to offer proper counseling for application to the US, since most people just go to university in their countries, so the range of colleges counselors would know and would know match with a particular student is very limited.

Gabypa, mi mail es athrob@hotmail.com, seria chevere conversar de esta nota y ayudarnos y todo, bueno, hablamos.

By Cuspidor (Cuspidor) on Thursday, August 21, 2003 - 12:12 pm: Edit

Thanks everyone for your help.. about the 'crazy' guidance counselor that let me apply to only those four schools, it's very difficult for schools outside the US to offer proper counseling for application to the US, since most people just go to university in their countries, so the range of colleges counselors would know and would know match with a particular student is very limited.

Gabypa, mi mail es athrob@hotmail.com, seria chevere conversar de esta nota y ayudarnos y todo, bueno, hablamos.

By Haon (Haon) on Monday, August 25, 2003 - 12:40 am: Edit

Look into applying to top LACs--they are less selective but the same quality.

Specifically Williams is need-blind for international students.

Middlebury is not need blind but it loves internations (so that's a good choice for you). Amherst, Swarthmore, and Pomona are also very good school (but not needblind for intls).

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page