How do I fit a national TV game show appearence into my app?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: How do I fit a national TV game show appearence into my app?
By Yonif18 (Yonif18) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 01:36 pm: Edit

Hey the summer before 8th grade I was a contestant on Jeopardy!, the very first kids tournament...I was winning but i missed the last question so i lost...but that's besides the point...I wanna know...would adcom's care that i was on that show? And where would that fit on my APP? on my additonal info section?? please help!

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:20 pm: Edit

Write an essay about it. That is pretty unique!

Alex, I'll take Things that gets you in at Harvard for 200, please ....

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:30 pm: Edit

Let's see now... a loser on Jeopardy...??? Hmmm...

Is there some little voice in the back of your head saying "This is not much of an accomplishment..." ?
Listen to it!

If you did choose to mention it at all, it should be in the manner of you poking fun at yourself, rather than some feat that you are proud of and are trying to impress someone else with. Being humble about it will do you better than trying to pass it off as a great accomplishment:

"Lost on the last round of the nationally televised Jeopardy Kid's Tournament when I bobbled the question, "____________?"

Handling it that way will show that you at least have a sense of humor, modesty, and perspective.

Uhhh.... what WAS the question?

Yeah...you could possibly squeeze a clever essay out of it.

By Xiggi (Xiggi) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:40 pm: Edit

MT~

You should ask ... what was the answer?

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 03:13 pm: Edit

I'm not much into game shows. Between re-runs of The Simpsons and watching James Lipton making a fool of himself on Inside the Actor's Studio, I get just about all the TV I can handle...

By Gianscolere (Gianscolere) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 05:32 pm: Edit

What was the criteria used to be on the show? I'm sure it was a pretty intense process you had to go through. I see it as an accomplishment.

By Yonif18 (Yonif18) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 06:41 pm: Edit

um actually they chose 15 kids..out of an applicant pool of about 800!! so with an admissions rate of about 2%, I'd say thats pretty good accomplishemtn...by the way the answer was about napolean! so how should i weave it into my app?

By Alimshk (Alimshk) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 08:33 pm: Edit

I agree w/ Morgantruce. I think the best way to use that experience is to just poke fun at, but sound modest. If I were an AdCom I'd get a kick out of it.

By Reidmc (Reidmc) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 10:17 pm: Edit

agree with above - essay possiblity only - self-deprecating; what I've learned since then etc.

By Bft (Bft) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

Morgantruce= That is an accomplishment to be proud of. Making into Jeopardy involves a huge rigorous process. They don't just let anyone in, you know.

By Yonif18 (Yonif18) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:03 am: Edit

ya jeopardy isn't like the cornell of the prestigious game shows..getting in is actually hard lol

By Bft (Bft) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:37 am: Edit

LOL. I had always wondered, how do you "prepare" for Jeopardy? Do they give you a list of topics that might be tested or do you just have to know a whole lot?

By Digmedia (Digmedia) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:22 am: Edit

Most schools don't want to hear anything that happened before high school, and many only want you to list activities in 10/11/12.

So the best thing to do with that is find an essay topic in it.

By Ellemenope (Ellemenope) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:57 am: Edit

In answer to the question about preparing for Jeopardy: the show gives you absolutely no guidance on how to prepare or what topics might be covered. My husband was on the show (5 day champ)--he knows a lot, but he also studied like mad to prepare--he studied all sorts of stuff about American presidents (AND vice-presidents), state and foreign capitals, Shakespeare, the Bible, opera, the Civil War, literature (American and world), English royalty, etc. He already knew a lot about science and sports and he loves to watch PBS and the History Channel documentaries anyway. Still, it was a grueling process. I wouldn't want to go through it.

By Yonif18 (Yonif18) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 12:25 pm: Edit

preparing for jeopardy is kinda like preparing for...an ap dbq...you just hope the topics will be something you know...The only way I prepared for it was taking a gander at the almanac...whcih did NOT help me at all!

By Yonif18 (Yonif18) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 12:21 am: Edit

bump!!!

By Masamune707 (Masamune707) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 03:51 am: Edit

hm i think its a great accomplishment but id still say play it safe and pass it off as a joke unless u can use it in an essay like for an intro or something

By Yonif18 (Yonif18) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:24 am: Edit

ok cool..bump

By Sheeprun (Sheeprun) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 01:05 am: Edit

Yonif18 warned about bumping on August 12th on Minority Sattus thread. Now he's bumping again--just to make sure everyone is aware of his TV appearance.

Thread closed.

<moderator>

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page