Please Tell Me!!! Who cares the most about standardized test

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Please Tell Me!!! Who cares the most about standardized test
By Adxj220 (Adxj220) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:44 pm: Edit

So who does? Engineering schools, Public Schools, big ones, little ones, LAC's, research, what majors!!? Help, which ones? I have a 1560 SAT, 800 MATh 2C, 800 Writing and 780 Chem but a 3.36 gpa. How do I minimize the poor gpa-- no extenuating circumstances, just a really really competetive tough school...

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:39 am: Edit

Public schools and bigger schools

The more private and prestigious schools, like the small LAC's or the Ivies care more about a well rounded package, which includes a very high GPA and EC's that show an interest or passion in something.

By Poutingminotaur (Poutingminotaur) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:42 am: Edit

parents

By Bullrider7788 (Bullrider7788) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 06:33 am: Edit

Basically, colleges want to see that your application fits together. If you take AP Chem and get an A in the class but a 1 on the test, it doesn't correlate. But if you get an A in the class and a 4 or 5 on the test, then that correlates. If you have high test scores, then a high GPA should correlate and vice versa. A GPA of 3.36 is not gonna help you for the Ivies, especially because that's a B average and considering that their average UW GPA's are between 3.8 and 4.0. Those test scores of yours would look really good w/ a 3.8+ UW GPA.

By Thecurious1 (Thecurious1) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 08:27 am: Edit

Honestly, I think they look at Standardized Tests with more consideration. Because that's what determines your level compared to millions of others who are trying to admit in the schools across the country. GPA can be inflated, but not the test scores. And if you have valid reasons for low GPA and there is even a psychological factor (like your schools nature is not really appealing to you, it is not challenging, etc.) So most likely test scores is what gets their attention because it's contrary to your GPA. At that point your essays and EC's come in the play. If all of that looks good, you're in.

And to answer the original question.... almost every school cares about it.

By Mm314 (Mm314) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 02:40 pm: Edit

not necessarily, SATs are not the deciding factor in ivy leagues, i'd say a 1380-1600 is the ideal SAT range for ivy applicants (but then again i could be wrong). the SAT puts you in the pool, and unless your one of those kids with a 4.0 1600 2400, standardized testing isn't gonna guarantee anything.

By Bitz (Bitz) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 03:03 pm: Edit

Thecurious1- There are very few valid reasons for a low GPA. A one-time, short-term drop can be explained by an illness, death in the family, etc., but a long term slump is not that easy to mitigate. You often hear high school students use depression or lack of interest in school as a "valid" reason, but an elite college is not going to like a student who finds that academic work is boring. Additionally, depression (or similar conditions) should not be used as an excuse if it is a long-term conidtion. This is because of two reasons. First, long-term depression will cause the same lowering of a college GPA as it does a high school GPA and elite colleges want to accpet students that they beleive can achieve at the highest levels. Second, certain schools, notably all of the Ivies, are high-pressure schools in regions where winters can be harsh. Since there is a correlation between depression and winter suicides, some colleges won't want to take a chance on a student with depression. Anyway, this is just the wisdom of one person, but I think it is quire reasonable.

By Thecurious1 (Thecurious1) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:02 pm: Edit

I never said tests guaranteed anything. In a nutshell I meant, the scores will weigh more than GPA. That is just to get your foot in the door. After that it's your esays, your personality and attributes playing part.

As far as the low GPA goes, well consider this. What if a kid had to work at least 20 hours a week to help his (single) mom out? Some circumstances in life make you put your grades at lower priority than many other things. It's like choosing between working hard to get good grades or just surviving. At that point grades are not the priority. These situations restrain even the strongest willed person.

Now, of course the circumstances have to be very dramatic to explain the low GPA. Nothing like oh yeah I just wanted to enjoy my teen years and goof around with my friends and bf/gf because those times will never come back.

By Folk_Hero (Folk_Hero) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:15 pm: Edit

Even big schools know which schools are that tough. Does your school rank?
I read "Admissions Confidential," a book by a former admissions officer at Duke, and she wrote that, in their points system (your entire app comes down to a single number!) the engineering kids' test scores weigh a LOT more.

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

so what good schools are good to apply to with those stats?

By Bitz (Bitz) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:11 pm: Edit

Curious - Yeah, having a 20 hour/week job during high school would be a valid reason. You are quite right about that. Just note that the OP said that there were "no extenuating circumstances".

By Congresssenator (Congresssenator) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:21 pm: Edit

Bob- if one is willing to aim lower, there are schools who are willing to offer admission and megabucks to a high SAT scorer. Get out of the Ivy League and Ivy-equivalents-- your chances start looking much better.

By Bobellison (Bobellison) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 11:52 pm: Edit

how much lower are you talking?

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 12:19 am: Edit

My GPA ain't too hot either. But my school is RIDICULOUSLY competitive and colleges know this. If I were at any other school, I would have a 4.0 easily. But in NYC, they don't have the 4.0 system, they grade on a 100 basis. My average is currently a 96.7, which puts me in the Top 10%, I think.

Anyways, I would have a really HIGH GPA were it not for a single subject: Foreign Language. Simply put, I suck at Foreign Language. My Math/Science average is a 98 (almost 99) and my English/Social Studies average is almost 98. Other subjects are solid as well. I've never had a grade below 94, except for two, both 85's in Foreign Language. I plan on applying to Science/Engineering programs. How do I explain my low grades in Foreign Language to them? Does it matter if I am an international student? Will they cut me some slack?

By Adxj220 (Adxj220) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 06:17 pm: Edit

You call that a ridiculously competetive school?!! Probably 5 kids have had that gpa at my school in the past 3 years. I doubt a 96 is any problem at all, no explanatoin needed if you are as ngood in other areas-- EC's and SAT's.

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 08:51 pm: Edit

"You call that a ridiculously competetive school?!! Probably 5 kids have had that gpa at my school in the past 3 years. I doubt a 96 is any problem at all, no explanatoin needed if you are as ngood in other areas-- EC's and SAT's."

I assure you, ridiculously competitive doesn't do it justice. At Stuyvesant, a LOT of people have a 96+ average.

By Adxj220 (Adxj220) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 10:59 pm: Edit

Do you mean that the kids are all very smart by "ridiculously competetive", or that the academic program is rigorous? My statement "Probably 5 kids have..." was meant to imply the toughness of the school; we have one of the most competetive student bodies in the country, but still people don't do that well--and end up in my situation, low gpa and extremely good everything else (supposedly colleges take this into account). If your school is very academically rigorous, your gpa won't be a problem, especially if you indicate with stellar stuff in other aspects of your profile.

By Adxj220 (Adxj220) on Monday, August 18, 2003 - 11:01 pm: Edit

By the way, are you talking weighted or not?

By Encomium (Encomium) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 01:09 am: Edit

I simply do not fathom how you can have a "98" in English. It just doesn't work like that at all in any school I've ever seen.

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 01:29 am: Edit

"Do you mean that the kids are all very smart by "ridiculously competetive", or that the academic program is rigorous?"

uh...both. I am talking average SAT score of 1420-1440 and atleast (and I am serious) 150-200 people with a 1500+ and 10-15 with a 1600. 100% of students go to 4 year colleges and the average regents scores are the highest in NY state.

Unweighted ofcourse.

"I simply do not fathom how you can have a "98" in English. It just doesn't work like that at all in any school I've ever seen."

The student body is really very, very good.

By Y17k (Y17k) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 03:53 am: Edit

umm wtf?

at my school, the TOP student would have about 96 average (i have around 93ish, and im 3rd in the year level)

><

if what ur saying is true, i agree with u; ridiculously competitive doesnt do it any justice at all

By Thecurious1 (Thecurious1) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 08:40 am: Edit

Dude, how are you an international student if you studied in NYC? I don't think they'll let you get away with that. And even if you came to this country not too long ago, doesn't mean you're an international student. Doing highschool here should give you a good grasp on the education system here. So you should be in the same pool as everyone else here.

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 09:17 am: Edit

"Dude, how are you an international student if you studied in NYC? I don't think they'll let you get away with that. And even if you came to this country not too long ago, doesn't mean you're an international student. Doing highschool here should give you a good grasp on the education system here. So you should be in the same pool as everyone else here."

Uh... I know. But I am still classified as an international student because I am studying on a Visa. I am most definitely in the International Student Pool.

By Adxj220 (Adxj220) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 11:51 am: Edit

Sounds like a very good school, but the gpa still seems inflated. We send about 30 percent of our kids to ivies and top 15 schools a year, but no one does that well grade wise. The middle percentage of our kids are in the 1400 sats but have B averages. Maybe we're in the same boat-- should have gone to easier schools. And back to the topic, who cares the most about standardized tests?

By Thecurious1 (Thecurious1) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 02:19 pm: Edit

You're studying on a Visa in high school??? What Visa is that?

By L_Wonder (L_Wonder) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 04:21 pm: Edit

Thecurious, there are alot on international students with student visas in highschool. Many of the international students that I knew in college went to boarding schools in the US.

By Stanfordhopeful (Stanfordhopeful) on Tuesday, August 19, 2003 - 06:31 pm: Edit

The G-visa.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page