Senior schedule--Do I look like a slacker?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Senior schedule--Do I look like a slacker?
By Smiley (Smiley) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 02:44 am: Edit

Junior year, I took 4 AP courses and 5 exams... Was happy with how I did on all of them... (4s and 5s)

Senior year, I'm planning to take AP Eng, AP Calc, AP Envir Sci, Quant physics, Great issues.

There really just are not other AP classes at my school that interest me (only others are Art History, Art, Music Theory, Vergil (took AP Latin Lit))

I know some people might take college or online class, but there's no community college, and I'd rather do other things...lol

By Serene (Serene) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 03:31 am: Edit

that's 3 APs AND quant physics! that's quite a workload.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 08:47 am: Edit

I say Smiley's been slacking off! The AP Latin Lit is the tipoff. What's the matter... couldn't hack AP Driver's ED?

By Skyblue (Skyblue) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 08:09 pm: Edit

Colleges take note of what you did each year of high school. If your Senior year schedule appears to be lighter than previous years, they may think you aren't highly motivated going into college especially at selective schools. Of course, I shouldn't say anything-I just have 2 AP classes this year but I'm just going local(San Antonio).

By Smiley (Smiley) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 08:40 pm: Edit

lol, Morgantruce... I tried to sign up for AP Driver's ED, but they said that I didn't have the necessary prerequisites ;-(

As for Latin, I've taken it since 7th grade... took AP Latin Lit junior year. Of all the courses I've taken over the years, that's prolly the class in which I worked the hardest. I got a 5 on the AP exam, but I didn't do well in the class. The teacher drove me crazy... I could take AP Vergil senior year, but I feel I've gotten just about everything that I can from Latin, and I really do not want to deal with that class or that teacher in my senior year... (also, the Aeneid doesn't interest me much)

By Smiley (Smiley) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 06:42 pm: Edit

bump

By Uschicka (Uschicka) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 06:39 pm: Edit

You aren't slacking off...I took only two APs senior year and no science course, and I got into schools like Berkeley and USC.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Friday, August 15, 2003 - 11:59 pm: Edit

Why aren't you taking a fourth year of a foreign language? It'd look good if you took AP Virgil

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 12:03 am: Edit

btw...quant physics? Quantitative? Quantum?

By Smiley (Smiley) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 08:25 pm: Edit

Clickspring--Quantitative... At my school, there's regular (college prep) physics and quant physics. Quant is more advanced, about AP level.

By Gammon (Gammon) on Saturday, August 16, 2003 - 10:19 pm: Edit

I took calc AP last year as a junior, which is the highest math course my school offers. This year I'm taking calc 2 at the local university, but that requires two hours out of my day for one class due to transportation time back to the high school, so I lose an hour in which to take another class. Also last year, I was able to take 8 credits instead of the normal limit of seven because I took a "zero hour" class that starts before normal school hours. But this year, there are no zero hour classes that I haven't yet taken so I only have room for 6 credits down from 8 last year even though my courseload is as heavy as I can get it.

Will this look like I'm slacking off?

Should I indicate the 0 hour situation on my application?

I don't think it would look good to just skip math this year (and I wouldn't want to either; I love math) even if it would free up two more hours in my schedule.

By Masamune707 (Masamune707) on Sunday, August 17, 2003 - 03:57 am: Edit

hehe i love math too...my advice would be to take the math course and possibly more since they r quarter classes typically..hmm if u already are involved in a lot of outside of school activities i think ur good

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page