What is my chance..please help

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: What is my chance..please help
By Tian (Tian) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 11:36 pm: Edit

Hey guys. Here are my basic info:

I came to US from China when I was a freshman, without knowing any English. I worked hard on the language, but still, it does affect things like my SAT verbal scores. I have relatively high GPA, straight "A"s, but I did not take Accelerated classes for English or Social Studies. My math and science are pretty strong, I will be done with Multi-Var-Calc and all the AP scince courses when I get out from High School, and I got some pretty high awards for math competitions.

My SAT I score: 1320 (V520 + M800)
SAT IIs: MathIIC 800, Physics 730, Chemistry 740. gonna take Writing.. and Chinese(well hopefully 800 on that)
I will take the TOEFL, too, hopefully will get a good score.

My essays will not be as good as rest of the people due to the lack of my English skills.

Other stuff..like extra activities or special talents, I run Cross-Country, gonna be varsity this year, and I am very good at accordion, piano, and clarinet.

My major will be some kind of engineering, maybe Biomedical. Johns Hopkins is my first choice, then UPenn... Northwestern... Cornell... GIT... Rice... UIUC... UMich.. etc.

Thanks.

By Serene (Serene) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 11:42 pm: Edit

SAT II Scores good enough. No need to take Chinese. SAT I... errr... I guess okaay...

what's ur focus on the application? you said ur math/science are strong, any ECs in these areas? what kind of math competitions? just curious =)

By Liwenchao (Liwenchao) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 03:56 am: Edit

Take SAT1 again!
what awards by the way?

By Tian (Tian) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:13 pm: Edit

I already took SAT I twice, and did worse on the second time, so...kind of give up now. Math award, the highest were just like 4th place in the state in my grade, and 13th in a high school one, called OH Math Olympiad or something like that.

Is there anything I can do to increase my chance though?

By Cmaher (Cmaher) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 01:08 am: Edit

Memorize a dictionary.. I am serious, you will know most of the words already, anyways.

By Tian (Tian) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 11:52 am: Edit

That's gonna take a while...I'll do it if I have time, but looks like I don't...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page