Community college courses/Clep

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Community college courses/Clep
By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:20 pm: Edit

I have taken couple of community college courses in the past like college composition 1/2, vector calculus, differential equations, Topics in differential equations, Linear equations, university physics1/2. My counselor told me in the past that those credits that I earned will be transfered to the college that I will be admitted, and I won't have to take those courses in my college years. Well, I was looking at college catalogs and they said that it "depends". I just want to make sure that those credits I earned will be transfered as a college course credit.

And another thing, I plan to take CLEP if any of you know about this, for american government and american literature. Are they going to be transfered as college credits to the school I will be admitted?

Please answer me^^;

By Ctrain890 (Ctrain890) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:27 pm: Edit

CLEP, most likely yes because it's a standardized test. The CC classes, it depends. Ususally colleges say that the class you took has to match a class that they offer in terms of depth and difficulty. You also have to get at least a 'B' to get transfer credit.

By South1985 (South1985) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Yes, those credits will be transfered to the university your going to.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:30 pm: Edit

I've got all As. And I thought the classes I have taken was pretty standard to all of colleges I guess. But who knows.. I better make a contact with the colleges that I plan to apply. Thanks a lot.
Anybody else?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:17 pm: Edit

The answer to the question about credit for college courses is "It depends". It is totally up to the discretion of the college you end up at ("up at which you end"?). They will decide on a case by case basis for each individual course. You may be asked to submit a copy of the syllabus and table of contents for the textbook, with info about exactly what was covered. The course you took usually has to be "substantially the same" as a particular course at the college you transfer to, as decided by some human in the appropriate department who may have prejudices/quirks/whims/moods affecting his or her decision. I understand that you'll be applying as a freshman, but this is the same issue faced by students who transfer after 1 or 2 years of college - they are frequently horrified at how many credits they lose in the processs.

In terms of CLEP, both tests you are planning to take are available as AP tests. A lot more colleges give credit for AP than CLEP. Check and make sure that the specific schools you are interested in will accept CLEP tests. They're pretty dinky, and selective colleges generally won't give you anything for them. You would be better off taking the AP exams in those subjects that have an AP exam.

By Hhboyji (Hhboyji) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 03:41 pm: Edit

Well, I guess I better talk to them and figure out what I have to do. I mean, I spent almost up to $2,000 for those college courses, and I obviously don't want to lose them...--;
For the clep exam.. Hm.. in fact, taking clep exam was what my counselor recommended me to do. "It will be cheaper and somewhat easier to get higher score than taking AP exam">> that's what my counselor told me. Besides, we have only one AP course-AP calc.AB, and the teacher who decides whether I can take AP exam without enrolling in actual classes is not a pleasant person to talk to, and she also gets cranky about letteing students taking AP exam since she doubts about students' potential of independent studying. Well, I guess I better talk to her.

Thanks!
anyonelse?

By Gg360 (Gg360) on Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 08:35 pm: Edit

PASS CLEP or DSST with ease
Check out https://www.instantcert.com
I have passed 4 CLEP tests using this very easy method
Use discount Code 63184

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page