Taking a year off- should I apply and deffer?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Taking a year off- should I apply and deffer?
By Floriaemilia (Floriaemilia) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 08:44 am: Edit

I'm thinking of taking a year off, so I can work to raise money, have a better idea with what I want to do with the rest of my life, and work and develop this NGO that some friends and I started. But I really want to know if I could get into college my top colleges with what I already have, so I was thinking of applying to a few colleges (Harvard, U of Chicago and MIT) and deffering if I got accepted.

If I didn't get accepted, would it hurt my chances when I applied again next year?

By Ctrain890 (Ctrain890) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 09:33 am: Edit

This is tricky. If you don't get accepted the first time, during your year off, you definitely want to take at least a couple classes at a community college. Colleges generally like the idea of people taking time off to pursue other things, but if you didn't get accepted the first time, you want to prove that you are still dedicated to your education.

Good Luck!

By Floriaemilia (Floriaemilia) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:20 pm: Edit

thanks. I should mention then that I will be taking some classes at a local college.

By Emeraldkity4 (Emeraldkity4) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:51 pm: Edit

Harvard actually recommends that students take a year off, however I think you should ask in the info session how they feel about students taking college classes during that time.
That may make you a transfer student in their eyes, which can be a more competitive position.

My daughter took a year off, did not take classes, but when she applied to ( different) schools, she was admitted to all including her reach, and also recieved more aid than we had anticipated. A well designed year off can make you appear more desirable, as you will be more mature and thoughtful, compared to students who apply right from high school

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:07 pm: Edit

I agree with Emerald; be careful about taking classes at the local college. If you do that as a dual-enrolled high school student, you can still apply to college as a freshman. But if you do it after graduation from high school, that puts you in the position of being a transfer student. This would be an issue even if you were accepted to all of your schools and deferred one - they usually specify that you cannot enroll in another college during that time.

By Floriaemilia (Floriaemilia) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:09 pm: Edit

I'll probably apply this year... Should I tell the schools that I plan on deffering?

By Texas137 (Texas137) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 04:27 pm: Edit

No, don't tell them. You might change your mind when you see where you're accepted and your friends are getting ready to go off.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page