Do I dare to be bold on the essay?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Do I dare to be bold on the essay?
By Dancer (Dancer) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:59 am: Edit

I'm in state student applying to Carolina.
1150 SAT; 25 ACT; 4.3 Wt. GPA; 25/400 rank; 4 AP classes, lots of honors/advanced classes - a few just regular electives. EC consist of mostly cheerleading, competitive dancing, theater, and creative writing - all of which I've gotten quite a few awards. Academic honors are limited to National Honors Societies and Who's Who which someone said shouldn't be listed because they're a 'scam'. So my question:
For the application essay which asks the applicant to recommend a work of fiction to fellow students and explain why - Should I go nuts and recommend a self-authored poem which won a creative writing contest if I can justify the selection in my essay? Or is this really a stupid idea?

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 09:15 am: Edit

I think you are asking the question because there is already a little voice inside your head saying, "This is probably not a good idea."

Listen to that voice.

By all means, be bold in your essay.. but not that way!

By Dancer (Dancer) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 10:37 am: Edit

You're absolutely right - I think I must have gone temporarily insane with that notion. Desperation is not a pretty sight :-)

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page