Parents Worked at School

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Parents Worked at School
By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 07:26 pm: Edit

If my parents uesd to work at the U of MI as scientists, would this help me with entering somehow..? I know they're not like alumni, but I don't know ..

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 07:46 pm: Edit

This would not be unheard of.

By Mike (Mike) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 08:29 pm: Edit

Some private schools even give employee's kids DEEP discounts. Maintenence guy I know at Williamete U tells me his kids can go for far less then a state school.

Mike's Dad

By Massdad (Massdad) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 08:45 pm: Edit

Given UM's emphasis on a rather formulaic admission process, I'd doubt very much that having parents that were FORMER employees would matter.

Many give a tip to kids of current employees, or a tuition break, but not all (such as my employer, a well known Boston area institution.)

By Special_Foreign (Special_Foreign) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 10:29 pm: Edit

some colleges and universities award points to the person if one of their guardian works at the institution. the college may also reduce their tuition. if i would attend u of chicago my tuition would be cut in half since my dad is an employee and i would also receive points on my admission. i find that pretty awesome, for me at least.

By Tennizpro06 (Tennizpro06) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:55 am: Edit

How do you know? Do you have to contact the school to find out? And how would you put down that your parents used to work there?

By South1985 (South1985) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:58 am: Edit

I know a kid whose dad works a University of Maryland. If he gets a B average he gets in, but hes an idiot and hes gonna mess it up.

By Liz (Liz) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 01:33 pm: Edit

Wake forest gives I think a 97% tuition reduction to sons and daughters of employees. Duke does something similar...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page