Software needed for Applications!!

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Software needed for Applications!!
By Strmadden (Strmadden) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 10:09 pm: Edit

Sorry but I am computer illiterate. What software is needed to DOWNLOAD and FILL IN applications? Please help me because I want to start on my applications. Thanks in advance.

By Serene (Serene) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 10:24 pm: Edit

the latest version of acrobat reader.

if you can't fill in, then you'd either have to apply online or handwrite or type it w/ typewriter.

By Rashmi (Rashmi) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:26 am: Edit

Th latest version of acrobat reader lets me fill in the form but does'nt let me save it. :-(

By Thecurious1 (Thecurious1) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 10:24 am: Edit

You have to print right after filling out the info. Reader won't let you save the forms after filling out.

By Rashmi (Rashmi) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 12:33 am: Edit

ya...and I'm so poor...... can't afford the Proffesional or the Standard version..

By Smiley (Smiley) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 03:36 am: Edit

Try this:
1) Download Adobe 6.0 (free)
2) Using the snapshot tool, save to clipboard...
3) Paste into Word or another program, size
4) Use textboxes and drawing tools of Word to fill in fields
5) Print
(If you feel that there is a slight loss of quality in the copy/pasting process, do steps 1-4 then delete the application image from behind... textboxes, etc. will remain. Then print app. Put paper back through the printer, and print the info. If doing it this way, be sure to make sure that the size & position of the pasted image are identical to that of the Adobe page... you can try printing both out to compare before you start with the text boxes. :-))

Of course, you can save the Word document and edit it as many times as you would like before printing...

Hope that helps!

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 03:18 pm: Edit

Smiley,
That's a great tip! I had been using Adobe Reader 5.0---and cussing at how little could be done with a downloaded pdf file.

I just downloaded v. 6.0 (for Macintosh) and, sure enough, there's that little snapshot tool. Being able to manipulate all the information in Word makes all the difference in the world. That tip should make college aps a whole lot easier!

Not only that---lots of stuff you turn up on a Google search these days is in pdf format. Being able to manipulate it before printing is a big plus.

By Mekker3 (Mekker3) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 12:04 am: Edit

serene, when you say the latest version of Adobe do you mean pro or 6.0?

By Serene (Serene) on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 12:19 am: Edit

The fill-in function works on v5.0 and up.
Though not all apps are made nicely so that you could directly type into the documents.
Try smiley's method. I myself handwrote.

By Strmadden (Strmadden) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 01:10 am: Edit

Simley,
Are you talking about Adobe ACROBAT v.6.0 or Adobe Reader?

By Asphodyne (Asphodyne) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:48 pm: Edit

A strategy I've tried is saving the pdf as a .tif and then using Omniform to convert the .tif (300 dpi per inch) to a form. It reproduces the form with a few errors. I think all I need to do is to change the font settings. Does anyone know what font the Stanford app uses? Stanford's official font?

By Libroschico (Libroschico) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:50 pm: Edit

Smiley, what if you have Works and not Word?
Word didn't come with my computer; I have Microsoft Works and Corel WordPerfect -- neither one of them are cooperating.

Also, how are you getting a snapshot of the full page? I'm only getting part of the page when I use 100% zoom.

By Smiley (Smiley) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 10:08 pm: Edit

Mekker--I'm talking about 6.0 (free). I believe pro costs about $400-$500

Strmadden--Adobe Reader

Libroschico--Any application that allows you to use textboxes and has the paste feature should work. As for your second question, I think you may be thinking of the printscreen button. Snapshot tool lets you draw a box around the whole area you want to photograph (even if it does not all fit on the screen). I'd do one full page at a time :-)

Hope that helps... feel free to ask any other questions :-)

By Dan202 (Dan202) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 08:42 am: Edit

If I'm filling out the common app after downloading it with reader 6.0, is there any way to increase the size of the font of the information I'm filling in (it looks like it's a 9 or so font)--don't want to strain the eyes of the admissions officers! (I realize if I use word I can do it, but without that, within acrobat reader 6.0 is there a way? Thanks.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Thursday, August 14, 2003 - 02:05 pm: Edit

I'm certainly no booster for Microsoft... but they just reduced the price for the academic version of Word down to $149. I think that was the Mac version. The PC version might be even lower.

MS Works is going to be an uphill battle in so many ways.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page