Engineering Question - (Industrial, Operations research, Fin

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Engineering Question - (Industrial, Operations research, Fin
By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 07:13 pm: Edit

Well, I plan on majoring in engineering and I am not to sure about the differences betwen the majors. I mean, how are the job prospects for coming out of Industrial engineering, Operations Research, Financial engineering, or Management engineering?? How does the workload for these compare to say, Electrical or Mechanical engineering. Also, what are some good schools for these particular engineering majors. Thanks!

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

I graduated with a chemical engineering degree, so I'll be of limited help... limited because chem-e is pretty much it's own thing.

Industrial engineering is often in the same department as mechanical. I don't know about relative workloads - but, here's my rough guess, in order from toughest to easiest: chemical, computer, electrical, mechanical, industrial, civil... and then you can insert other ones at various places along the chain.

I would recommend Industrial Engineering or op. research over the other two, as they probably don't really prepare you to be an engineer. Job prospects might be better with a "real" engineering degree (not to offend anyone) than a hybrid of engineering and management. Get an MBA if you really want the management aspect, and you will have awesome career prospects.

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 03:04 pm: Edit

OK, thanks...anyone else

By Baltodad (Baltodad) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 03:28 pm: Edit

If you're willing to put in the work, major in mechanical engineering with a minor in business. Not as good as an MBA, but takes less time.

By Gogirl (Gogirl) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:57 pm: Edit

I would go for industrial engg. and operations research over fin. engg, simply b'cos industrial engg. gives more technical expertise over financial engg.Besides,capping ur industrial engg. degree with an MBA from a prestigious school will definitely be more lucrative.
What is the point of doing financial engg. and doing MBA again?

Anywayz,good luck with ur choice.

By Usc_Ore (Usc_Ore) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 02:29 pm: Edit

hello
i'm a graduate ORE (operations research engineering) student at USC(southern california).
to answer your question, IEOR should be your choice without a doubt. NSA and DHS (homeland security) are just two of many org. out there seeking OR and Math people. Operations Research is much more than just biz management or financial analysis. math modeling and integer programming, computer simulation, transportation theories are just a couple of things you can do with OR and i'm not even scratching the surface. anyway, get a OR degree if you like math.

Stanford(OR), Berkeley(IEOR), NYU(math dept) <-- go for it!

cheers

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 02:55 pm: Edit

Thanks for all the advice. I was also wondering if anyone knos the specifics of how good and the differences between these engineering departments and these schools:

Stanford (OR)
Princeton (ORFE)
Berkeley (IEOR)
Cornell (IEOR)
UIUC (IEOR)
U Mich (IEOR)
Northwestern (IEOR)
MIT (IEOR)
DUKE (IEOR)
Columbia (IEOR)

Is there really no difference between the job prospects and types coming out of any of these school? Or would some of these schools provide you with different kinds of work.

Also, industrial engineering is very broad - what kind of concentrations at these schools can you focus in - what are most popular and which can be more helpful for getting a job??? Thanks so much with all these questions.

By Usc_Ore (Usc_Ore) on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 03:04 pm: Edit

usnews ranked IEOR in its 2004 report. you should check it out. other than that, i know of no comprehensive comparsion of the specific department you've requested. you should check out different department's website for different concentratons offered. (i.e. SCM, OR Modeling, Statistic Related Manufacturing Operations, Statistics??, Transportation Engr, Information Engr, Datamining...) hope this helps a little.

i'd rank

1. MIT(IEOR)
2. Berkeley (IEOR)
3. Stanford, Columbia (IEOR)
4. Princeton, Cornell
etc

By Bnp182 (Bnp182) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:18 am: Edit

bump

By Magicdragonfly (Magicdragonfly) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 12:54 am: Edit

http://www.bls.gov/oco/
go there..it's of great help when looking @ careers
click on the thing in the upper right that says
OOH search/ A-Z index
then go to E..and look @ their engineering stuff..

By Ysette9 (Ysette9) on Wednesday, August 13, 2003 - 09:14 am: Edit

If you are really concerned about getting a job after school, then I have to tell you that the brand-name degree won't assure you that after graduation. my boyfriend just recently graduated in mechanical engineering from Berkeley with a 3.5 and we had a TOUGH time finding a job in the Bay Area. If you really want that great job I highly encourage you to seek out summer internships. Start early because they are more difficult to find than you may imagine. However, that experience on your resume will set you apart from the other candidates when the time comes.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page