Sophomore Standing

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Sophomore Standing
By Greenmoo04 (Greenmoo04) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 12:30 am: Edit

I heard that AP's alone can qualify you for Sophomore standing, say at a UC. Is that true? Do you need college courses as well? The app says under 60 units, so I guess any passing AP grade would qualify you?

By Ariesathena (Ariesathena) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 01:26 am: Edit

Not sure about the UCs specifically, but I know of schools which require about eight APs or so, with passing grades to be determined in each subject. For example, a 3 in AB Calc could allow you to place out of Calc I, while nothing but a 5 would do the same in chem. No, you do not need college courses; generally, just sufficient and numerous AP grades will do it.

By Zoob (Zoob) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 04:45 pm: Edit

I know for a fact that at Oregon State, 30 points on an IB diploma qualifies you for guaranteed admission and sophomore standing. Not sure about AP.

By Serene (Serene) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 05:59 pm: Edit

Depends on the college. Go to the individual college websites and find out for yourself.

By Jenniferelaine (Jenniferelaine) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 07:14 pm: Edit

Depends...but I am going in with sophomore standing (24 credit hours from CC and four year schools), and all I get is I am being allowed to bring my car. They've still stuck me, and my "Technically a sophomore" (someone like myself, with AP hours) roomate in a freshman dorm.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page