Visiting the University increase chances?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Visiting the University increase chances?
  Subtopic Posts   Updated

By Alex00087 (Alex00087) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 02:28 pm: Edit

I can't believe I waited so long to look into the guided tours and its nearly the end of the summer and most of the tours are already booked and full for the rest of the summer.

Does it help your chances of getting in if you had visited their campus for the tour, like is your name put on a list and when you apply they look to see if you visited and they think "oh they visited, they must really be interested in our school"? Is it different for smaller private schools and bigger UC state schools?

Also, what if you just go to their open house or preview day? Will they know you went and think you are more interested in their school?

thanks

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 02:40 pm: Edit

"Showing interest" may be more important to a college that perceives you to be looking for a safety, rather than reaching up from the depths for a remote chance.

By Serene (Serene) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 02:49 pm: Edit

I don't think so. Visits only help you get to know the college.

By Almostdone (Almostdone) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 11:10 pm: Edit

depends. some of the smaller schools have you on record. for instance, i went to two so far, u of Rochester and Yale, without signing up ahead or anything. at the U of R, they asked us to fill outa sheet with our name, phone number, address, email, etc. the admissions officer also gave the visitors her business card and asked us to contact her if we had any questions. the tour guide also gave us her card, and i have written emails back and forth with both.
yale was much less personal. no signing up, no introductions of visitors (at the U of R we all went around introducing ourselves), and no emails of the tourguides or admissions officers. they said if i had further questions i should call the admiss. office. i heard some people asking whether they should fill out an info sheet, and all yale had was the generic mailing list page on their website, which you can do at home. so they do not even know i was there.

By Alex00087 (Alex00087) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 02:28 am: Edit

ah yea that makes sense...so its better to visit small universities.

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 05:06 am: Edit

Almostdone uses the phrase "so they do not even know i was there."
-----
When you go to the reception area of any business, and they act like they do not even know you were there, does that make you feel as if you are in a good place to do business with?

How is this any different than a college? Are businesses any less "busy" with manufacturing a product or providing a service than a college? Do you like doing business in a place where the attitude is "We have all the customers we need"? Most importantly, how do you imagine you'd be treated if you actually became a customer? Would you believe any business that claims to treat its customers MUCH better than its prospective customers?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 10:04 am: Edit

Morgan....you have a point. I kinda remember out of all our school visits, that one school did not have our daughter fill out a card with her basic information and that school was likely Yale. While I did think it was odd that they did not take a counting of who came for their files or for later sending information, and so forth.....I would not go so far as to infer that they did not care about prospective customers. I think if the school does not have the student fill out a card for the record, it behooves the student in a letter or in some other facet of the application, to let the school know they visited, what they did there, what they liked or why they wish to attend. Actually even IF they filled out a card for the record on site, they should likely still do the latter anyway.

In any case, I never got a sense at Yale (I THINK that was the one place that did not take a list or card of participants in the info. session and tour) had an attitude that they had all the customers they needed. I just think someone in a higher echelon made a decision for some odd reason to not have tour/info. session visitors fill out cards. Each school has its oddity. I mean I thought it was weird at Brown that at the info. session when the child filled out the card, she had to put whether she was a junior or senior. THEN, they would ONLY give the bulletin/view book to seniors! So, some kids were sitting perusing the viewbook prior to the start of the session and we had nothing to look at or take home! (cause my child was a junior at the time).Now, senior year is a bit late to start investigating colleges. It seems like it is advantageous for a junior to have some literature on the school. I mean maybe they are saving money by deciding who gets the viewbook and who does not, as far as mailings. But if the junior makes an effort to travel and visit the school, don't ya think she deserves a viewbook too? We had to ask a senior who had his bulletin just sitting on a table (cause he has one at home already) if we could briefly peruse his cause the adcom sec. would not give us one.

Again, not sure I would cross the school off my list for these decisions they made nor infer they do not care about prospective students.

Susan

By Thedad (Thedad) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 12:15 pm: Edit

Funny, D most certainly *did* fill out an info card at Yale, which generated future mailings from them.

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 12:40 pm: Edit

The dad...it might not have been Yale...I cannot remember which school but it happened at one. Actually it likely was NOT Yale cause this summer we got their bulletin and application in the mail which likely came from that visit!
Susan

By Morgantruce (Morgantruce) on Saturday, August 09, 2003 - 12:58 pm: Edit

Although this thread is specifically about visiting, I was writing (above) more in terms of the overall impression you get as a prospective student.

My mind wanders...

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page