SHOULD I INCLUDE GPA? HELP

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: SHOULD I INCLUDE GPA? HELP
By Misterpeachy (Misterpeachy) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 04:48 am: Edit

Hey everyone, Im applying to MIT this fall as a junior-year applicant. I attend a prep school that doesn't rank at all or give percentiles (class of 50 or so).

Since I am a junior, my counselor and I thought it to be unfair if MIT or any other college resported to a "bible" where they would relate my GPA to other students whove applied to try to see where I fit in indirectly. So I propsed to not include GPA on the application.

Do any of you know if this would hurt me a lot? This is whitholding a lot of information, and for some of you who know MIT admissions, their academic ranking comprises of SATIIs, rank and GPA, and if two are missing then I dont know what theyd think. I know some schools really dont give GPA ever, why is that? Will this help in the long run if my GPA is lower than the average MIT-applicant? It might be advantageous a lot for me, or it might not. Any tips?

thanks

mrpeachy

By Crystal_Baller (Crystal_Baller) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 09:20 am: Edit

wtf is wrong with you? seriously....

By Drusba (Drusba) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 09:33 am: Edit

If the application asks for a GPA, you must give it. If it asks for class rank and your school does not rank, you should answer school does not rank. Also, your school transcript that must be submitted before they will even start looking at your file is either going to have the GPA (every school I know of) or is going to list all grades so someone can easily figure it out. You should note that very few people get into MIT under its early entry program where a junior can apply and start attending after the junior high school year. In other words, you need to be better than the usual senior that is admitted.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page