CALTECH

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: CALTECH
By Euphoria (Euphoria) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 10:38 pm: Edit

CALTECH dosent seem to attract as many applicants as other colleges:only 3000
why?

By Serene (Serene) on Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 10:42 pm: Edit

too techy. off-balance gender ratio. difficult to get in.

By Sac (Sac) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 01:36 pm: Edit

also, not in a college town

By Drusba (Drusba) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 01:56 pm: Edit

Do what anyone thinking of applying does--some research into CalTech and its admission stats and what it is looking for and how many they take. Potential applicants who do that must say to themselves -- I haven't got a prayer unless I am near perfect in stats, and it is high tech only. In other words, there are not many students without extremely high grades, test scores, and science like EC's who even believe they should attempt to apply. The application pool is very self-selective which results in a fairly high admission rate but everyone admitted is extremely high in GPA and test scores.

By Nerdboy (Nerdboy) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 02:56 pm: Edit

I think most people prefer MIT over Caltech. The reason could be that there's more job opportunities for someone who graduated from MIT than someone graduated from Caltch.
Also, I've heard that Caltech is extremely hard inside (once you get in and want to study in it).

By Intellectualguy (Intellectualguy) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 03:42 pm: Edit

3,000 people apply to Cal Tech every year but only 500 get in. So presumably it is a small college, also I agree with Nerdboy, people do prefer MIT over Cal Tech.

By Serene (Serene) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 04:53 pm: Edit

except cal tech gives out great scholarships to the students they really want =P full ride can be very tempting~

By Oops (Oops) on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 09:22 pm: Edit

I agree that many people prefer MIT over caltech, but I don't think that nerdboy's explanation is accurate. I just think that most people prefer MIT because it is simply a ore well-known institution in the world. Among scientists, caltech is as prestigious, if not more so, than MIT. But tell somebody that you are going to MIT, and you get oohs and aahs. Tell someone that you are going to caltech, and the most likely thing you get is a blank stare (and if you are from California, you get the response, "You mean Cal Poly?").

The best way to describe the difference between MIT and Caltech that I have heard is this: MIT is more business oriented, and Caltech is more research oriented. MIT boasts about the great starting salaries that their graduates get once they get out of college, while Caltech boasts about the ample research opportunities that distinguish it from the other large research institutions in the world.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page