Wording of work experience?

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Wording of work experience?
By Emma (Emma) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 07:07 am: Edit

Would would the best way to word this work experience?

Week in a television production company TV6 Ltd.
Week in the science department at the Financial Times.

By Clickspring (Clickspring) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Is that supposed to be two descriptions of the same job??

By Emma (Emma) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 01:33 pm: Edit

errrrm, firstly one is called TV6 Ltd, and the other is called the Financial Times, and secondly one is a television production company and the other is a famous English financial newspaper (which even if you didn't know that, the 'times' might have given it away).

I meant, more on the lines of, should I call it work experience. And should I add a sentance in bracets explaining what I did so they don't assume I just sat there making cups of tea?

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 01:40 pm: Edit

Definitely describe what your responsibilities have been at this job and the amount of time you spent at it. Otherwise, they will not know if indeed you DID make cups of tea! ;-)

My daughter is currently doing a paid internship/job she created for herself at an architect's office (her intended major) and actually she has been doing real architectural tasks, not busy office work. For sure, when she lists this experience, she will tell exactly what she did. She may even choose to include samples of this work.

All I can say is: describe, describe, describe....all of your EC pursuits. Sell yourself!
Susan

By Emma (Emma) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Yea, wise words...

How much space do you have for your ECs? I'm a bit clueless on the issue...

By Soozievt (Soozievt) on Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 11:24 pm: Edit

Emma...there is NOT a lot of space for ECs on applications. You should attach a resume that lists activities and awards. The list should also include descriptions of your accomplishments, plus your level of involvement....time, and so forth. Explain what you did...do not just list it. If you do not tell them, who will? Otherwise, your list will look like everyone else's and besides, it will not give a full picture. Sell yourself on the application!
Susan

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page