Grad School

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Grad School
By Zapo1j5p8l1 (Zapo1j5p8l1) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 09:44 pm: Edit

What do top grad schools look for? Does getting into a top undergrad school give a huge boost for grad school application?

By Massdad (Massdad) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 11:51 pm: Edit

What a grad school looks for depends on the program and the school, of course. In general, for PhD programs, they look for the ability (shown by grades, recs etc.) and the drive to persevere in a long tough program. To quote from Harvard Medical School's web site " To qualify for admission, applicants must demonstrate strong enthusiasm and ability for the vigorous pursuit of scientific knowledge. Minimal requirements include a bachelor's degree and undergraduate preparation in calculus, physics, biology, and chemistry, both physical and organic. Strong consideration is given to letters of recommendation, particularly to comments from individuals who have firsthand knowledge of the applicant's research experience."

The name of the undergrad institution matters little compared to what you did, at least for a very broad range of schools. And keep in mind, that in the sciences at least, what matters is where you did your post-doc, not graduate work.

By Pwhitey86 (Pwhitey86) on Sunday, August 10, 2003 - 09:08 pm: Edit

are there any resources that show given such and such a gpa you should apply to these types of schools - i.e. second tier schools

I am an undergrad Mechanical Engineer with a 3.1 and I am trying to gauge my chances etc.

thanks

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page