Help on essay...any feedback is welcome

Click here to go to the NEW College Discussion Forum

Discus: College Admissions: 2002 - 2003 Archive: August 2003 Archive: Help on essay...any feedback is welcome
By Cuauhtli (Cuauhtli) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 08:02 pm: Edit

Name one book you have read in the past year. Describe your reasons for considering this book significant and what you gained from reading it.

I meander through the streets of Macondo, inhale its tangible air, indulge in its liveliness. Its colors are heavily saturated, its magic is real. The sky is cloudless, the sun?s rays delightfully warm, its breeze refreshing. I stop. I admire. I interact. I delve on the possibility of being here forever.

García Márquez?s ?One Hundred Years of Solitude? presents such a world, and with it presents important, and unavoidably contagious, ideas and concepts. Macondo subsists in distinguishably different strata of reality, being at once tangibly real and sublime. Gaining an understanding of the surreal, and being welcoming to the town and story?s vivacity, inspire optimism and hope, and allow for a greater understanding of life?s subtleties, which are ultimately the underlying details of our meaning and importance and the determinants of our individuality.

Márquez?s prose reveals the true road to happiness. As human beings, we are driven to achieve, and thus perceive the fulfillment of our goals as the realization of happiness. True contentment, however, is not something we should set out to achieve, but rather something we should allow ourselves to accept. Empathy and conscientiousness pave our way to happiness, should we simply allow them to develop. The Buendía family was thus destined to misery; its members were deprived of all sensitivity.

Macondo invariably abides by a cyclical pattern. Such a pattern creates a sense of routine; everything seems destined to repeat itself. Life itself consequently becomes mundane; we fall into an interminable array of regularities, with no need to exercise originality or creativity, crashing into a trap of perpetual determinism. Differences break routine, and reestablish free will by empowering individuality. Such differences are necessary for our attainment of happiness, what are we if not ourselves? Life?s subtleties, its apparently most insignificant details, make us who we are, and make life worth living.

Life is, in its essence, what we make of our individual differences. We have the ability to decide upon our actions in hopes of desirable outcomes. Life is hence not determined by fate, unless we choose not to exercise free will. We can make a difference in our world; our ability to do so rests solely on our determination. Make the most of your qualities, make the most of life, understand the importance and meaning of true genuineness. Indulge in the beauty of the sublime.

By Cuauhtli (Cuauhtli) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 08:06 pm: Edit

does it seem too impersonal?

By Hahaha (Hahaha) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 08:08 pm: Edit

can you tie in the meaning of the book with an actual experience of yours? Cuz otherwise, yeah, it sounds too impersonal.

By Serene (Serene) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 08:14 pm: Edit

Never read it. But I agree w/ hahaha.
And don't simply summarize Marquez's point... maybe you could write about if you agree with him or disagree... that'd make it interesting.

By Cuauhtli (Cuauhtli) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 08:31 pm: Edit

Okay thanks, but should I make it longer then or simply rewrite it? I don't want to make it too long...

By Serene (Serene) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 09:45 pm: Edit

what's the word limit?

I would condense Marquez's points... and then add your own thoughts. =)

By Crnchycereal (Crnchycereal) on Tuesday, August 05, 2003 - 10:47 pm: Edit

Inhale its tangible air? That's like saying "breathing the comprehensible atmosphere." I'm not sure if this is the adjective you want to use.

Report an offensive message on this page    E-mail this page to a friend
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page